Skins Ideas...

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by FaeLuna, Dec 11, 2002.

1. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

oh, and another thing... when you paste in your shirt or pants etc. be sure to select the Paste as Transparent Selection option! ;)

...AND... when you copy something, make sure just what you want is selected, and to copy ONLY the layer you're on choose plain copy, but to copy ALL the layers that are showing choose "Copy Merged" :D

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

One more thing.....Photoshop is a lot nicer :)

3. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Yes, it IS Josh! ;) I'm learning that as I mess around learning PSP!! But it's also more EXPENSIVE and I don't know of it having a downloadable trial.... :whitekitty:

4. ManagerJosh

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

oooh ok! Thanks Josh!!! Is it a 30 day trial like PSP has? This will make it SO much easier to talk about how I do skins and help people learn!! yay!!! :p :whitekitty: :bunny:

(Come to think of it I think you mentioned this Adobe site before... oops... I forget things!! :p )

6. ManagerJosh

Yes there is a 30 day trial.

7. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'm just TOO scattered sometimes. Thanks again!

And hey.... does anyone know where to download a program for making MESHES and where I can find tutorials for that??!! :D I spent HOURS last night extracting .skn files from the .far files for ALL the expansion packs... and I still don't see a mesh that will REALLY work with my skin idea I'm currently obsessed with!! :p

8. sraideros

sraideros New Member

Any paint programs, like apple 6 for Mac OSX to create skins?

. . . okay, after learning about sims skins and meshes, I'm curious as to how it's done... so I could test this out on my own Hard Drive. (( There was a posting, that I've created.... which was based on carebear's question, but didn't realize that thread is now closed and feel kinda bad for starting that thread in the first place.))

I'm pretty certain that it can be done... being that one views www.simcrazy.com.

Still, a guy / gal with an iMac just don't get that luxury. A designer would have to develop it for a mac/zip download. - the best thing I can suggest as an example... is a really cool looking Justin Timberlake Sim body - that has a tattoo on his right arm.

Already - I'm also learning, that you can't layer one piece of clothing on top of another, as one would do in actual human life. - if the belt and boots, just don't match, create that new sim body from scratch... is the obvious thought.

.... anyway, I don't know about carebare other than his profile, but he does pose some "thought provoking" questions. Anyway, with all do respect with the moderator.... wish the BEST of luck creating those new skins, I'm very interested in your progress.

9. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Re: Any paint programs, like apple 6 for Mac OSX to create skins?

Hi and welcome sraideros! :D
    I wish I knew more about Mac computers and what kinds of files are used with them... it seems that since Macs are designed to be really good with graphics editing they should have SOMETHING compatable for a pain program that allows you to edit and save .bmp files to make your own skins!

I use photoshop, and I CAN "layer" each piece of clothing separately because I make each part of the clothing a separate Photoshop layer when I'm working with it. That way I can see how a skin would look with boots and belt, or make those layers invisible and do it without them! :)

I found and downloaded milkshape 3D and am now altering Maxis meshes to make my own so my skins can now go on the proper SHAPE of clothing! Yay! :p
    I don't know if it works on macs or not, but it's a really cool program!

10. sraideros

sraideros New Member

I'm amazed - - - really, but back to the game play and progress report.

Discovered a web site called SimWardrobe.com
    .... there's some mac programs available to download
    (( but although it was helpful, was still reeling emotionally, from being unable to download the mac/zip files to get better wallpaper / floors.)) You wouldn't believe that four hours of sending email out to various folks such as aspyr, and to the ever so famous "cheetah" for suggestions...

what happend was that I was unable to download, after reloading the game from scratch. (( this really scared me, when an error message appeared and said "Could not read the dictionary or extention because of disk error." )) - - - yet when I re-registered with aspyr, and was able to download... stuff like the Pepsi machine.... thought "a-ha" I could download again..... but was yet wrong. the Mac / Zip files confirmed that there's something missing - it won't download.

Anyway - did send a letter to worldsims.org forum - Christian was quick to answer that folks are trying to investigate this. (( Was cool though, that you and the forum folks didn't take off just quite yet for the holidays - - - stated on the homepage site.)) thank goodness.... that there's folks out here like yourselves. Although administering a web site can take hours to do.

Was able to successfully download other folks, wallpaper, floors without problems.

11. sraideros

sraideros New Member

More "thought" provoking issues came up - such as if I had an idea to submit... how could someone with an Mac OSX do this exactly?

then again, the mona lisa wasn't done overnight....

Things come in time. Just like this game is played.

J.T. Gallagher

12. crazy12234

crazy12234 New Member

but i still don't get it.. how do you use adobe to do the skinning?
    oh! is it possible to do sims's heads in different cool colours?

13. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I make a .bmp file in Adobe Photoshop based on the Maxis skins, Name the file according to the way the files are named in the Sims game, and tah-dah, I have a new skin! :)

Yes, it IS possible to do the sime heads in different colors! :whitekitty: :bunny: What did you have in mind? :D

14. MaG

MaG New Member

I agree, it is very easy to do skinning in Photoshop, I personally use PS7.

...I would say the hardest part is blending and shading but those arn't even hard to do.

15. ManagerJosh

I find the air brush is helpful when blending.

16. Doitle

Doitle New Member

Hello I'm Doitle, I'm new to this place, but I was actually considering applying for a job at the advice of Ben Munson. I use Paint Shop Pro exclusively ( I have Adobe too and it's just too flaky for me to use... ) If you have any questions on how to do something I'd be glad to answer them. I use PSP for my skinning, object making and web design. Also with your quandry about how to save them in the right format for sims, in the top bar go to; Colors > Decrease Color Depth > 256 color (8-bit) and then it will give you some options on how to index it. I use optomized Octree with Nearest Color to get the closest to real results. The others tend to create dots or drastic color shifts. You then save it as a bitmap and it will work in The Sims.

17. PepsiGirl

PepsiGirl New Member

Oh Boy!!!! I can tell I'm going to have a lot of fun around here. I am a newbie also. I have made a bunch of floor and wall files. They are what I started off with and now I'm ready to move on to skins and heads. I'm a little confused about the files needed for the meshes. I thought the .cmx files where the meshes. From reading this thread I take it that the meshes are the .skn files? If this is right, I wasted about 3 or 4 hours this morning hand selecting all of the .cmx files out of my game data/skins directory and copying them to a my docs folder.

As for skinning ideas I suggest doing some on-line clothes shopping. If the site prevents you from doing a "save picture as" for viewing later, here is a little trick I use. Adjust the active window to fit the image you want to save, then press and hold the alt key and press the print screen button.

18. ManagerJosh

Meshes are a combination of CMS and SKN files. You need both to make skins look how they are.

19. Mike

Mike New Member

Faeluna do you post skins hre at worlds,

I'd be interested to see what they look like.

*runsoff to download*

20. Bud Light

Bud Light New Member

Hey if anyone is interested, could you make some Terminator skins? I would, but I suck at art.

Edit: Hey PepsiGirl I don't want to be rude or anything, but you do know your avatar is a pic of a boy right? (Yea I know it looks like a girl) I'm bored an' gots nothing else to do so I just thought I'd let you know.