Skool Starting

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by slimsim, Aug 27, 2005.

1. zydeco

zydeco New Member

One of the things that bothers me on many forums is how poorly young people are treated. I think most are intelligent, funny, and/or interesting. Too many adults don't take the time to find that out. In general, I love age 4 and age 12. They shine at these ages.

You all reminded me of the day my youngest went to his first day of preschool. I came home, poured a cup of coffee and proceeded to spend the whole morning watching Nick Jr. It didn't hit me until it was time to pick my son up that I could have watched something else. :rolleyes:

2. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

No, they don't. :p;)

Anyway, I love the off-topicness of this post. Going OT is one of my favorite things, one of the few things that I do well. :)

Young, old, whatever. (I'm 15, for future reference) I admire everyone on here, because they do very well at making it impossible to guess their age! I love that, because it allows us to build relationships based on communication as opposed to first impressions of age. :) I think the whole age thing is one of the most damaging things to a person... for example, I hate the fact that teens have such a bad name in society today because of what a few people have done.

3. kuponutty

kuponutty Confused little moogle

Ahhh Spongebob Squarepants... Its still shown every weekday. I'm not really into those kind of cartoons. I'm more of a fan of anime. And zydeco, I don't think young people are treated differently! Well, in real life yes, but on WorldSims I think we treat everyone equally.

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I like having friends of all ages, and I think that kid's TV is the best thing on. "Adult" television, with very little exception, is sophmoric, stupid, violent and insulting to my intelligence. Yes, there are good shows, but there are not nearly enough of them. For every Gilmore Girls you have ten so-called "reality" shows, for every "Six Feet Under" you have ten million different Law and Orders to choose from ... yawn.

Shows like Foster's, Spongebob, and Sesame Street, on the other hand, are imaginative and fun. I'd rather watch them any day of the week. My daughter also enjoys Animal Planet, and I do like the Food channel, even though it makes me hungry LOL.

I think 2 is a great age. I know it gets a bad rap, but it's an amazing age to watch. They go from being a baby to being a kid, right before your eyes. My niece is just about to turn 2 and I can't wait. She's the cutest thing on the planet (after my own daughter, of course!).

But I think any age can be a great age. I'm amazed at the sophistication of the "kids" on this site. If I didn't know your ages I'd think you were all a lot older than you are. I'm not sure if it's all kids or just you, since I'm mostly exposed to 8 year olds right now. :) But given what I've seen in my daughter's age group, I'm guessing it's you. There's always a wide range of intelligence and sophistication at any age, including mine!

Me, I don't like to sacrifice fun in favor of pretension. Which means, I hope, that I'll always be young at heart.

5. zydeco

zydeco New Member

I meant that this is one of the few forums that treats younger posters well. I apologise if I wasn't clear. :eek:

6. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

OMG I LOVE GILMORE GIRLS! Yeah, sometimes it's a little inappropriate, but so what, I play TS2, too. Besides, I hear a lot worse things at school (middle school is the worst age for boys--they're the most immature, the most disgusting, the most annoying) than I ever will in a PG13 movie.

7. kuponutty

They took Gilmore Girls off the air... *Sniff* You don't know how disgusting this boy in my class is. Luckily, he's been expelled. He hit on the teacher, he strips while we're changing, and he stuck his butt on the window of his bus (which is my bus!!) and shows it to everyone. Ewww its disgusting just thinking about him. Okay, calm down, I must purify my mind... *Meditates with Frank Sinatra in the backround*

8. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Kupo, are you obsessed with Sinatra? He is very smooth. I know somebody who performs as Sinatra in cafes, etc. He does really well with it as well.

9. person123

They did? But...I just saw it yesterday...a new episode, too... Well, maybe it was showing on some channel other than WB11, and then they took it off.

10. kuponutty

I live in New Zealand, remember? I have different channels here.

11. person123

Ah, okay, sorry, I forget everything--my friend Cindy will assure you.

Anyway, here's a purely OT question: Did anyone here have those rather large porcelain dolls as a child? I was just thinking that I would've loved to have one when I was younger that I could dress up everyday and talk to eerily as if it were alive. Then again, I'd have probably already lost interest in it by now, and it'd be collecting dust in the basement. And then a couple years from now it'd seek itd strangle me, screaming, "YOU ABANDONED ME!!!"

Alright, too many horror movies.

12. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

My husband had an old-fashioned kewpie doll that stared at you with this leer on its face. We finally threw it out when we got the dog because it was so old we were afraid she'd get poisoned if she chewed it ... anyway, I used to have nightmares that it jumped down from the shelf and pitter-pattered across the floor when we were sleeping and that some night I'd find myself staring at a kitchen knife in its scary plastic little hand ...

So, no, 123, you're not the only one with doll fears. And I'm supposedly a grown-up. :rolleyes:

13. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I collected those porcelain dolls as a kid, well into my early teens, but mine weren't the type that you played with, only display. I did have one cousin who was freaked out by them. I had (actually they still are displayed) on a long shelf on one wall, on my desk, dressor, and corner shelf in my old bedroom at my parents house. I believe I have around 30-35 dolls, I haven't checked in a while. Anyway, one of my female cousins would refuse to go into my room for more than 2 minutes at a time, she said the dolls were staring at her. I think she watched Chucky one to many times. I never had a problem with it growing up, and I hope to pass all those dolls onto my daughter (that is if I ever have a daughter). If I have only boys in the future, I guess that they will have to go to my first granddaughter.

14. kuponutty

Are you all talkimg about those creepy pale dolls with that fixed expression and frilly dresses? My mum had them when she was younger. They're all dusty, cold and hard. I'd much rather keep my collection of soft toys! (they're all crowding my bed)

15. babewithbrains_14

I've got some of them, I think 4. To be honest, I don't really notice them! They're just there. Ornaments.

16. zydeco

zydeco New Member

My MIL collects antique German bisque dolls. They are very valuable...so hang onto those your mom has. We used some of my mother-in-law's dolls to decorate the tables at my daughter's 6th birthday party. She had an elegant tea party and all the little girls came dressed in antique clothing and big floppy hats. The dolls made it very Victorian and old fashioned.

17. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

That sounds absolutely lovely. My sister and I had dress up clothes with long skirts and hats with veils. once when I was around 11 one of my sisters friends had a dress up tea party and we walked the quarter of a mile or so to and from Betty Jean's house. There's something to be said for the naivete that keeps you from realizing you're being teased by young men honking at you when you're dressed like that...

18. person123

LOL, I'm "around 11", and I would never agree to dressing up like that and then walking for a quarter of a mile in broad daylight. Well, I guess that proves that nowadays youth are much more mature.

Another OT statement: I am so sick. My throat hurts. My head is throbbing. My eyes are streaming. My nose is running. Ugghhhhhhh.....

And it's all my sister's fault! She was sick first! All I did was sit next to her on the couch, and WHAMMO! Today I wake up sick. That's partly the reason I'm up so early on a Sunday morning (no, I don't go to church). I can never sleep peacefully when I'm sick.

19. babewithbrains_14

So do you get off school, or are you being forced to go in?

20. kuponutty

Hehe... I am sooooo lucky!!!! Its the first Monday of my holidays today!!!! Break out the refreshments, I wanna get drunk!!!