So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

I thought ellipses were ovals, and thats why i didn't reply. I thought it was a bit strange you were addicted to ellipses - and how would we notice?

Just smile and nod, guys. :p

2. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Wow, that's what they're called? I use them all the time.

And thanks, guys! I thought it'd be harder for me to kill sims off, but it turns out I don't even feel an ounce of guilt. Perhaps that's not a good thing.

3. babewithbrains_14

Oh, I can't stand killing a Sim. It's terrible - listening to the screams. Eurgh.

I feel okay after though! :D

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Me too. I just offed Komei Tellerman cos he kicked over the trash can of a new couple who'd just moved in. Normally I am quite sanguine about such shenanigans but honestly! They didn't even know the nasty townie; besides he was sporting a silly face-paint job after a makeover mishap and had so far resisted all attempts to be repaired. He took so long to die that I got bored and had to intervene with some boolpropery :rolleyes:

5. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

My favorite grammar book, and one which I enthusiastically recommend to my friends, is Karen Elizabeth Gordons The Transitive Vampire: A Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager and the Doomed.

It is one of the most amusing books Ive ever read And it really does teach you grammar! Here are a couple of examples the book uses to illustrate Subjective Complements:

The tea party remains a domestic farce with passions kept on a leash.

The famous courtesan, Mog Cinders, was an accomplished lepidopterist, too.

And another example using Collective Nouns:

The entourage lolling about in the lobby were hanging out their tongues. (Apparently, this was an existential act for each or them.)

Ms. Gordons books (she has several) actually make grammar fun!:D

6. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

LOL at all of you guys. You crack me up.

Thanks for the laugh.

Ovals. Sheesh.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Striclty speaking ovals are egg-shaped and rather less susceptible to mathematical definition in comparison to an ellipse which is a circle gone wrong in that it has two foci instead of the usual one ... though why a greek word for incompleteness should have been chosen is beyond me ... but then I'm the kind of person who still worries about whether the colour orange was defined before or after the fruit ... also when did flies first start buzzing because if they have always buzzed wouldn't it have been more sensible to call them buzzes? :eek:

8. surprised_by_witches

Mirelly, what drugs are you taking and can I have some?

9. babewithbrains_14

I have loads. She sold them to me. I think. I don't know what I'm talking about.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Witch-momma ... over here the drugs are a compulsory part of life under Mein Fuhrer, Herr Blair. We're electing local government officials next week and I can't decide between voting for my incumbent local rep for whom I did not vote previously due to not living here four years ago and who is not a member of the faction I normally support but who has a nice face and who sent me very nicely worded and well punctuated article of literary mendicancy <deep intake of breath> and a chinless geek whose propaganda looks as though it was written by the reception class (K) of the local primary school and who -- according to his photgraph -- looks like the kind of person who tries to put his elbow in his ear everytime he hears that old chestnut concerning the impossibility of the same <gasp turning red in the face> or else a fence-sitting twirp who cannot decide if he's Arthur or Martha, the sort of chap who doesn't know whether he's with the Co-op or the Home and Colonial ....

And you thought ellipses were for cutting sentences short :p

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If I didn't need 'em before, I need them now. Laffed so much the cat took off from my lap using all her crampons for traction ... I'll be smelling of tea tree oil for a week now! Thanks a bunch! :p

12. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

on the mend thanks for keeping me company... probably should have gone in today but since I had doctor's "permission" to play hooky one more day did so... hey this is the most I've missed in four years they really shouldn't tie knots in their shorts about it. anyway it's been 24 hours since I've had a headache or a fever so I think I'll live. you all are so amusing and clever and wise. guess I'll stick around.

also when did flies first start buzzing because if they have always buzzed wouldn't it have been more sensible to call them buzzes? :eek:

I thought their flying caused the buzzing... does that help?

13. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

I've always wondered why cookies are called cookies, when we bake them! I say we boycott the word cookie, and say bakies from now on!

14. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

Down south we really only call them biscuits so I never say cookie anyway :p . Interestind theory though.

The sperm whale thought of names for a few things, then he died. I don't think he got to flies or cookies though.

15. surprised_by_witches

Did he think of his own name, too? Cause, eeeew.

Heh. Bakies. I love it. I told my husband that one and he agreed with you, 123. He's a professional baker. He said "I wish I had some bakies right now."

LOL at Mirelly. Been there myself. My cat, who is ancient, missed my leg in a mighty leap and hung from my bare leg with her little crampons firmly embedded. Twice. I was thinking of writing an essay called "The holes in my leg, or why I no longer love my cat."

I've got scars. Now when she looks like she's thinking of leaping I help her up. Safer that way.

Now, back to my sims. Working on getting all those little simmies to child stage. And whew, little Ella Hourvitz turned out cuter than could reasonably be expected from her toddler appearance.

16. reignofevil

reignofevil Spore mod v2.434543

Well on another forum I hijacked my neighbors account right.... ( i was banned unfairly and was protesting that there ) so he got back from his trip to tokeyo and when he found out took my call of duty 2 hostage and now he has my laptop and is sitting outside my door.

17. suitemichelle

just hope you don't have to go anywhere until he decides to move.:D

18. Lynet

Lynet New Member

So much fun to catch up on this thread. Hope Michelle and SBW are feeling better. Those colds sound depressing. Michelle, that avatar is hysterical--a cat in a bathing suit?

I know the attachment will take a day or two for approval. It's just a goofy picture from an Amsterdam canal boat ride.

19. suitemichelle

Well thanks, I know I am better... back to the salt mines on monday... how was your trip? last I heard was you were on flight delay... funny pic bytheway

20. Lynet

Lynet New Member

As for the trip, I wish we'd had more time in Holland. Our plane left a day late and although it was orginally going to be a one-stop in Iceland before getting to Amsterdam the delay added another stop--Heathrow in London. I adore London, really, but Heathrow doesn't work well as a connection--way too big. Then, naturally, all the mix up resulted in lost luggage. It finally arrived a day later than we did, and it arrived on two separate planes, which meant two different hunting grounds--a storage room and then Baggage Belt #10. :rolleyes: Ah, well, everyone's got travel stories and this one wasn't too bad.

We spent one entire day riding the canal boat bus round and round in Amsterdam, taking it all in. We spent another day in Den Haag (The Hague) just walking through the streets in the vicinity of the train station. Friday we went to the Rijksmuseum and then, because it was quite cold out and we were so tired, too a movie with my son. So funny because the movies they list out in front aren't necessarily showing. I asked the ticket lady when the Tom Cruise movie started, thinking she'd say 3 pm and she said 'next Friday.' So we saw Ice Age 2. Very cute :D. (The only other one showing was Scary Movie 4 :yuck:)

I was fascinated by the houseboat living and took a number of pictures of that. The public transportation is so convenient. I wish we'd had more time to see areas outside the two cities, even more of the cities. We walked alot. Everyone was setting up for the queen's birthday celebration on Saturday. Lots of people on the streets. Bicycles everywhere, ringing their bells when we blocked the path :eek:. We even saw a multilevel parking garage for bicycles and it was jam packed. Cars park within inches of the canals--I watched a guy parallel park, the driver's side facing the canal with maybe a foot of room. He got out so nonchalant and walked around to the street. I was holding my breath.:eek:

I was disappointed we didn't get to see more. My husband loved it, though. He likes just walking the streets of a city, soaking it all up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.