So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynet

Lynet New Member

So exciting. So cute.

(Now I'm trying to imagine life with all those kids as teenagers. :eek: They'll be sweethearts, I'm sure.)

2. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

We can only pray for their parents' sake that that's the case. :p

My boss has triplets. She says multiples have a different mindset than singles. They know from day one that they're not the only priority, and just deal with it.

My friend who used to work here has twins.

No fertility drugs involved in either case. :eek:

Must be something in the water.

3. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

suitemichelle, what a beautiful set of babies! So cute and precious.... :) I can only imagine the work involved though in caring for them in their early weeks/months, and I am positively shocked at the though of 5 teens in one house LOL.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

If I ever get fertility help, I would have to put a limit on two lol.

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I only had two, born 22 months apart. I didn't get 8 hours in a row of sleep for about 5 years. Something was always happening in the middle of the night. :nosleep: Speaking of sleep...nighty night.

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

What happened to your avatar, Mirelly? It looks like the side of an ambulance. Is that pretty grey haired sim being carted off to a nursing home? ;)

6. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I think it has something to do with soccer worldcup...?

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Ah, I see. Thank you, Michelle. Good night. :zzz:

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL The USA doesn't know what it's missing. I only turn into a football junkie every four years ... at the same time becoming rampantly English in as utterly a xenomaniacial way as possible. Though when England have failed to qualify for the finals (the last time being the occasion the US hosted the competition :eek: ) I support Scotland ... well, why not? :rolleyes:

Old grey hair will be back as soon as England have been eliminated ... probably as the result of a penalty shoot out. :D

We kick off tonight against Paraguay ... wish us luck, we'll need it.

And oh, yeah. That red cross is St. George's ... though why England adopted the badge of a Turkish dragon slayer is anyone's guess. The lion is another of England's heraldic symbols ... again not too many of those running free here either :eek: The li'l pink blobs are roses, also important, those are the red and white tudor jobs marking the union of the red Lancastrian and white Yorkist halves of our sainted realm. Free history lesson with every game is football ... well we English have to do something with out time cos we totally suck at actually playing the darn game :eek:

9. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I know what soccer is, and I know that cricket is somewhat like our baseball only the bat is flat and it has some other bizarre rules, according to our perspective, but Mirelly or Babe, what is Rounders?

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Michelle. Rounders is the game on which baseball is ... er ... based. It's played with a soft ball and uses a round bat and the four bases, though I'm not sure about the pitching/hitting rules compared with baseball (not that I understand that too well though I do know about such stuff loaded bases and walking which are not part of rounders.

Cricket is just nuts and has nothing to do with anything except as an excuse for the English to wage friendly combat under the midday sun with our former colonies ... sadly the darn yanks declared independence before cricket became serious. Being a civilised game, cricket always stops for tea and village and pub teams are measured by the quality of the tea and cucumber sandwiches that are served by the players' lady-wives during the sainted interval between innings (chauvinism ain't yet dead in rural hingland :rolleyes: )

England are current holders of the Ashes (the cremated remains of English cricket following the country's first defeat by an Australian side way back when Victoria was queen. England and the Ozzies have been fighting it out over the ashes for over a century. As you can see from the pic, the trophy has to be most understated knick-knack ever created ;)

PS Who'll be watching the USA play Italy next Saturday? (I'll be cheering for the US if there's nothing better to do ;) ) http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/group/index.html

PPS It'll be a bummer for the US team if no-one from home is even bothering to watch and support their progress. USA soccer team is currently ranked 5th in the world and they have a good chance to progress far in this competition ... though being drawn into 2nd ranked Czechoslovakia's group is unfortunate http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-May-2006,00.html

Attached Files:

• ash.jpg
      ash.jpg
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
  11. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

WOOT! GO ENGLAND! WE WON! 1-0! YAY!

Beckham's fgree kick glanced off Gamarra's big shiny head :p! We still would have gotten it in though! There was 2 minutes injury time, and Owen was puilled off during the second half for Downing to replace him, but it was all good.

I hate football normally as well. There was an amazing pic of Beckham in the paper and so I nicked the front page of someones Mirror. But as I was getting into the car a biiig gust of wind blew it out of my hand and I had to run down the street for it in my heels. I didn't get it, and now I'm sad.

WOOT! GO ENGLAND!! We have a good team this year I thinks, even without Rooney. Do you agree, Mirelly?

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yay! Let's go football crazy. Beck's definitely scored that goal and Gerrard should never have been booked! That Mexican ref was a total nutter though I had to laff when he booked the Paraguayan goalie for holding the ball too long.

Sorry you lost your piccy of Becks. Here's one of him with the England Women's Team captain ... (he's the one on the right :p )

Attached Files:

13. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

I thought Beckham was playing for Spain or something like that...Or do players only play for their own country during the World Cup? (Please pardon my ingnorance...I am only a Yank, after all. However, I DID know about Playing for the Ashes - Does that get me any points?) :eek:

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Sacha. Beckham is English though he now plays for Madrid ... it's a professional sport so the highest bidder gets the players it wants. For example the west London club, Chelsea is owned by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich who has poured a fortune into winning some silverware. Beckham's former English club-side (pro football teams are always called "clubs") Manchester United is currently owned by billionaire US sports tycoon, Malcolm Glazer. Incidentally, Man United owns the USA's goalkeeper.

I'll give you a point for knowing about the ashes if you admit that we Brits also invented American football ... except that we call it Rugby and the players don't wear body armour ... just a little gaffer tape to hold their ears on. England holds the World Cup for that sport, too! :D (Way to go Johnny Wilkinson! :p)

15. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I am not into sports unless you count horseracing. In fact, one of my requirements for a husband was that he not be a sports fanatic. (He isn't. He knows less about them than I do!)

Wonder if I'd been raised in Jolly Old England I'd feel differently?

Is it required that you be a football fan to live in your country? :D

16. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

LOL.... well I've finally given up trying to NOT be a sports fan :p In the face of the sports channels on satellite tv and a fiance who is a sports fanatic, I just concede lol. After months of trying to wrestle the remote control from him, I give up LOL. Besides, he gets to watch sports, I get to have uninterrupted time online (often to just bug Josh :p ), so it's all good :D

My fiance travels a 300 miles round trip to watch his former home town's football team play (he has a season ticket in the best spot in the stadium). That said, I do have a soft spot now for his footie team, and I generally support England in the World Cup and other major competitions.

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

My husband is a football fan--no particular team, just enjoys watching it. But that's when I can really concentrate on simming and Worldsims.

He has little interest in other sports so during the rest of the year my simming tends to occur late at night after he's gone to bed, which leaves me exhausted the next day, like today :yawn: *yawning.* It was a housecleaning weekend but I managed some late time, went to bed at 2 am and 1 am Saturday and Sunday night. I'm waiting for football to come back...

18. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Hi Lynet :)

I know what you mean about simming when your husband is either in bed or watching football. For me though, I usually sim when he is working night shifts (he alternates sets of days and sets of nights). Come to think of it I haven't simmed for weeks, as a good buddy has gotten me addicted to Maplestory :D

My fiance loves to watch ANY football as well as his own team lol, so you can imagine how often I actually see the remote control hahaha. Lucky for him, I only have 3 shows that I watch - The Simpsons, Everybody Loves Raymond and LOST, and he dare not ask for the remote control when those shows are on :p

19. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Just to avoid confusion, Soccer is pretty much a game for the boys in most parts of the world. But thanks to the internationalisation of the game there are now a large number of international competitions and in many regions support for the national team is much more widely based; people who would not dream of going to a stadium to watch a live match will lay in the drinks and snacks for the whole family to sit down and watch the game on TV. My mum, for instance, barely has a clue concerning the rules of the game but in the 1930s she used to attend matches with her younger brother (a true sports fan) presumably to keep him out of trouble :rolleyes: At 84 she still goes out of her way to tune in to watch England play and she does a pretty fair impression of a "mexican wave" when the score meets with her approval.

Being strictly cynical there are a great many different historical factors that caused the USA to develop its unique team sports ranging from the large distances between urban areas (where grass-roots support for team sport is nurtured) that hindered the development of competitive leagues to the advent of radio and television that forced a still undeveloped sporting infrastructure into a commercially viable (advertising friendly) format.

I suspect that soccer on mainstream TV in the US has little prospect of taking off as long as the game insists upon being played in two, unbroken 45 minute halves. There's no chance of that being changed in the foreseeable future, IMO. The game is as much a test of the stamina of a couple of dozen players -- combined with extremely limited options for substitution -- as it is one of physical skills and of the coach's inscrutable tactics (which are not easily altered once play has begun).

I suppose the nearest equivalent, in the US, to the game of soccer for much of the rest of the world is baseball.

Me? I have little interest in sport generally, but I love the whole flag-waving, jingoistic, xenophobia that goes with the World Cup. Had to chuckle this afternoon when I saw that the Czechs had demolished the USA by 3:0 (I watched 5 minutes of the game and then returned to simming ... yawn!)

20. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I'm going to freshman orientation at the University of Tennesee at Knoxville tomorrow through Wednesday. Huzzah! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.