So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphaspot

alphaspot New Member

Nothin much has happened to me much today, i am only starting to write a book.I posted a thread about it for book help stuff.

2. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

I've started saving for that new computer. Only $2,778 to go ;)

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I hope it doesn't take too long, Alison. That's a lotta dough.

Is WorldSims really cooking these days? I've noticed a lot of faces (uh...avatars) I hadn't noticed before. Or have I just been too self-absorbed. :eek: Or maybe it's the summertime-schools out--let's party over at WorldSims group?

Just wondering. Pay no attention.

4. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I've noticed this too...seems to coorespond with a LOT of old threads being resurfaced and questions being reposted that have recently been asked...search the threads people, search the threads.

Arg...sorry, I'm just kind of bitter today. We're swamped at work, and my co-workers decided they weren't hungry at their scheduled lunch time and waited 45 minutes to go on theirs, meaning mine is pushed back. So instead of going at 12:30 like normal I have to wait till closer to 1:30...doesn't sound like much, but I'm hungry enough at 12:30! Darn people!

5. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

That seems unfair. If they don't want their lunch hour, can you take it?

I've noticed that too but didn't want to sound like the wicked witch of the west by saying it. Some people strike me as more than a little lazy, and coming from me that's saying something. :p Edited to say: I'm not calling you a witch! Just thanking you for saying what I was thinking ...

But maybe they're just not used to being on a forum. This is my first (and foremost) site and I know I was pretty stupid at first too. And it is good to get new members. That's how a site stays alive.

I've got to go grocery shopping when I get off work today. Not such a big deal. The stores aren't that crowded in the early afternoon. It's weird but I'm looking forward to doing something useful.

I've been feeling really weird lately, like my life is disjointed. I think it's because I work part time at a job that doesn't give me much satisfaction. I like to be busy, and I'm not. And I don't get paid if I'm not busy. So I have to find ways to be busy, in between catching up here. Catch-22.

Time to pound the pavement yet again, methinks. My husband's cafe is hiring but we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket.

However, a job doing something that actually helps people--in this case, feeds them--might be a lot more satisfactory than what I'm doing right now.

It's very tempting.

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I've been in this job 9 years and it's so boring I can barely stand coming to work in the morning. Bad, because there's plenty to do, even if it's as tedious as all heck.

So I should look for a new job, too. But I hate job hunting and interviewing. It's way too depressing. And besides, there's nothing wrong with the people here. They're probably nicer than any other group I've worked with.

Anyway, I sign onto Worldsims for a few minutes, frequently, to be renewed. ;)

7. jupitershana

Unfortunately I can't take the others lunches, because they "will go in just a few minutes" And they are my seniors so I can't say anything

LOL, I didn't think you were calling me a witch! I figured others were feeling the same as me. I've been so tempted to post a couple times to some of the newbies...such as, "Don't resurrect dead threads just to say 'I don't understand' or 'I think that's funny!' In fact, don't resurrect them at all, if it's that important than start a new thread!!!!"

Can you tell I'm a bit frustrated with it. I hope I'm not scaring any newbies off who have good intentions...I'm just kind of grumpy today. I need a new job and a boyfriend who will get off his rump and propose...seriously, he's had a down payment on a $750.00 ring since January...He has the money, what's wrong with the man!

*shakes her head* whoa, that was a tangent, sorry. Getting impatient with the man.

8. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I think guys are content with status quo. Eventually I told my guy that I was going to buy a house. Did he want in on it? So we looked at houses together. We bought one together. Then he proposed before moving day. :D We married the same week we moved in. Kind of hectic. (p.s. my 3rd wedding anniversary is August 7)

As for the newbies to the forum, I think it's partly because they get so excited they post everywhere. Maybe they don't know that digging up old threads is a faux pas.

My only concern is that several of them want the oldtimers here to tell them all the secrets of the game RIGHT NOW. I would only say: Play the game, folks! Learning on your own is all the fun. Then see if you can tell the oldies something they didn't know before ('though a search of the forum is a good idea before you do that :rolleyes: .)

9. surprised_by_witches

Lynet's right. Just play for a while. Witch Baby has figured out a lot of things before I did, and she's 8.

We probably do sound like a bunch of grouches, so I hope no one takes it too personally.

As mentioned, I'm feeling kinda weird lately. Job related stress. My job is soooo weird. I work on a document and put it away for months and then BAM! I'm expected to update it and remember what the **** it was about and sound intelligent discussing the widgets and gromits it describes. And then the rest of the time I sit around trying to think of something productive to do. :mad:

I think Lynet's right about the status quo, Shana. My brother lived with his wife for nine years before he finally proposed. Not that I'm saying you should put up with that. Just saying.

I assume you've already told him how you feel. Every guy is different, so I'm not sure what to tell you, but I suspect you were just venting anyway.

10. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

I remember when I firt joined, I was like "WOW!" and I started resurrecting old threads as fast as I could! And then Kristalrose caught me and told me off. :rolleyes: ;)

11. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Can't imagine Kristalrose yelling at anyone ;) .

SBW, do you think we all might have a touch of the wanderlust? My feet are itching. I'm restless. I want to do something different, not go to that same stupid desk :crowded: to do the same stupid tedium tomorrow :crazy:.

I'd also like to finish Errol's story but there's quite a bit to do. And I want to finish Pharaoh's story. There's quite a bit to do with that, too.

And I want to go to San Francisco. :yes: And Minneapolis. And Vancouver (no particular reason--just a neat name to that city.)

And finally, I want to get an avatar without hair on the face. :D

12. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

I want to read the sequel of this book I recently read and LOVED, but it's coming out in September...this summer will be long and hard.

13. surprised_by_witches

Try to think of something else.

What book is it?

14. jupitershana

Oh, he knows how I feel. I was just venting. Part of my reason for venting is that I refuse to actually plan the wedding until he's officially proposed. I'd feel funny going in and trying on wedding dresses and having people ask me, "how did he propose?" "Propose? He hasn't yet." Seriously! LOL, that would be kind of funny though.

We've already set the date, January 25th, 2008, or possibly the weekend after that or the Friday before. Depending on budget and stuff. And I look through bridal magazines, but nothing more. I'm being stubborn, and I want to start doing the actual planning, I'd like at least a year 1/2 to plan this thing, and he can't get off his rump and propose....grrr....stupid men and their own agendas! Don't they realize that it takes a while to plan a wedding!

ARG! Okay, calm down... :gnasher: :banghead::headache: :crazy::scared: :relieved: much better...

Hehe, sorry about using you all as my venting block here. I can't vent to him about it! That might scare him off.

15. surprised_by_witches

Vent away, dahling. That's what we're here for.

I got engaged at the end of March and was married that August. So, don't hit me, but I'm just saying it doesn't always have to take a long time to plan a wedding.

Granted, ours was simple. And we both worked on it, so that helped too. Put that boy to work, is what I say. He may as well get used to it now.

My baby sister's getting married next month. Guess I'd better buy a dress. :p

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL ... I thought you were doing a Zsa-Zsa Gabor, SBW ... "went away" ... that's what happens when I click a pile new post links and read the newest first ...

Shana, if I'm any judge (and I'm no expert) your bloke might be labouring under the misapprehension that he has proposed if you have been so rash as to discuss a date. Though now I think about it there's the not so small matter of a ring that was mentioned .... Forget everyhting I jus' sed .... I think the man needs a hint upside the head :sly:

17. jupitershana

LOL, if only it was that easy. He's told me he has the proposal all planned out, so I know he knows! He just hasn't done it.

And yeah SBW, I realize that it can be done quicker, and I'm organized enough to do it in a shorter amount of time, I'd would just like to have the longer time to plan it, really check out all our options as we are going to have a small budget. His mom just claimed bankrupcy and my parents, even though they have loads of money, are cheap. And Brandon and I? Well...we're just poor because we buy a new computer and a car! Hehe...so yeah, just want a long time to really spend my time looking at the options.

I'd also love to put him to work on it, but realistically he doesn't have the time like I do. He works full time at night, goes to school (by the time we're planning the wedding he'll be doing 6 hours a day M-F for school), is a volunteer reserve police officer, and has to please me!

I just work full time.

18. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Oh gosh...all this talk of proposals and marriages certainly doesn't get me in any hurry to grow up. :eek:

The book is called Twilight, and the next book is New Moon, by Stephenie Meyer. It is FANTASTIC.

19. Lynet

Lynet New Member

For sure, 123. No need to rush into all of that. Plenty of time.

To change the subject, I've been enjoying all the wild animal life around my yard. It's not a big yard but there's patch of woods behind the house. This morning there were two little baby deer and their mother. The babies are so cute. I ran to get my camera but the battery is dead. :( Maybe I'll remember to buy another battery before those babies grow up. (Edited to add: Another recent morning I found three big guys with antlers standing on the driveway, munching at leaves on the cherry trees.)

We also have an extremely busy, hardworking chipmunk who runs back and forth past the sliding glass doors to the kitchen. We eat all our meals at the kitchen table there. The chipmunk has at least three entrances (holes in the lawn) to his underground home in our yard, all three close to the house.

The robins work hard, too. There's an army of those birds living in the woods and a lot of them spend all day scouting for bugs in our yard. There are also cardinals, woodpeckers, sparrows and so many other birds that sunrise sounds like a jungle.

Hard to believe how close we are to the city. I can here the roar of the Baltimore beltway which is a mile away.

20. surprised_by_witches

I live right smack in the heart of Minneapolis, but only blocks from the Mississippi, so we get some wildlife, but nothing like what you've got. Your yard sounds like my parents', and they live way out in the middle of nowhere.

I saw a raccoon once, facing down a poodle who was too stupid to know he was way out of his league. The poodle's owner turned the hose on the raccoon to chase it away.

We had a wild turkey walk down the middle of our street in broad daylight one time. That was weird. My husband said it was a lost tourist and we made jokes about it wearing lederhosen and asking "wo ist der bahnhof?"

We had one rosebreasted grosbeak and a cedar waxwing one time. Occasionally we get a flicker or another type of woodpecker, but otherwise it's city birds for us. Though for some reason our street is a haven for cardinals, so we get tons of those. We must have ten or twelve mating pairs on my end of the block alone.

Every year a robin makes her nest on our front porch, just under the eaves, and for the past two years she's been joined by a mourning dove.

And of course we have tons of rabbits and squirrels.

It's amazing how many species can adapt to living in the city. Granted, you might mistake our neighborhood for a small town if you didn't know better, with its shaded streets and older homes, but it is right next to downtown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.