So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Death affects people in many ways. It's one of the highest forms of tramatic stress that can change people's personalities. Best thing one can do is pray for him a lot and just be there a lot. Maybe not just as in a best friend, but also just being there and sitting there with him. There's a lot of value in support. :)

2. Joseph

Joseph boolprop cheatcode user

I've only been to one funeral in my adulthood and that was exhausting enough. My parents are only in their late 50s, but when it's their time, I hope I can pull myself through.

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I hate funerals personally. It's tragic yet at the same time it brings some closure. But I do make it a goal to at least be frequently near someone I do care about so they have someone to talk to when the time is right.

4. Joseph

You're a good man. :eek:

Had a college classmate who had a husband sleep at the wheel and died. He had their kids in their car as well and they were badly injured. I was a shoulder to cry on when she needed it. Wasn't as close to her as knowing her husband and kids, but we hung out a lot together in college and were in a lot of the same courses.

5. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

:( I'm so sorry Shana. I should have posted earlier, but I didn't know what to say. I'm thinking of you all over there.

Edit: Just deleted paragraph.

Oh yeah, I should mention that about 20 minutes ago Jamie asked me out again. He's so shy, I didn't know what to say. I said I'll think about it, and walked off. Weak, I know.

Edit: ^ That was last lesson of school, I talked to him for the first time after school. He's a nice guy, just really shy. I was expecting the worse I guess. What should I do? I hardly know him, but he sounds nice enough... :confused:

Sheesh, I talk too much. I just meant to give Shana some support...

Edit: I might hopefully get to do work experience at the ABC with the camera's and stuff. :cool:

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Personally, I like the shy guys. I married one who turned out to be a wonderful friend and husband.

That's not to say all shy people are terrific, but you believe he's nice so I'd find a way to give this fellow a chance, even if it's just to be friends. It's tricky in high school, though. I recall just trying to be friends with a couple of guys and they read too much into it. Anyway, that's my two cents, dug up from deep in my past. :D (Man, I hadn't thought about any of that for quite some time. :eek: )

7. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Good luck with your work experience, Alison. And the dates. You should go. You're young. One date does not a commitment make, and you could make at the very least a new friend.

Shy guys seem afraid of me. I dated one once but we had nothing to talk about. I'm a bit impatient, and some say intimidating but I don't see it. :p So if you're anything like me, leave pauses so he can say something if he wants to.

My sister married a man who is anything but shy, but he doesn't say much. It took a while for us to find a rhythm, since I'm a chatterbox, but now we're the best of friends. It helps that he's married to my sister. He was forewarned what our family is like. :D

8. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Hey Shana! Just thought I'd add my support - I know I'm late, but I don't have internet yet at my new place - had to wait until I came back to work in order to catch up...

Anyway, You and Brandon are in my thoughts and prayers...That is a tough thing to go through. I've done the "Hospital Death Watch" thing, so I know how hard it can be. Just hang in there and know that your friends are here if you need some support...

9. Joseph

I say go for it Alison. Make the first move! :eek:

10. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

:eek: Thanks for the advice, guys.

I think he wants to go to the movies... I'll talk to him tomorrow.

What's new... well, there were a few fights at school today. You can tell when there's going to be a fight, all the yr 11's and 12's come out from the shadows. One was a big fight with two yr 12's and a teacher. It was pretty serious, but not as serious as the last one, which was a gang bashing, the guy got a few broken ribs. That one was scary, the guy was screaming and they had him on the floor and were kicking him in the head and chest and such. I was only metres away, and I was shaking for the rest of the day.

The other one was to do with my on and off friend Renee. I don't know what it was about, but she was in a hell of a mood for the rest of a day. You don't want to cross Renee on a bad day.

Hmmm... I don't think there's anything else. Oh yeah, we had our weight and height done, and I'm underweight. But I'm not annorexic, I'm comfortable with my weight, and I eat when I'm hungry. So it's all good.

Yikes, better stop talking. Someone else's turn.

11. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

When people find out I'm about ten pounds underweight, they always go, "Wow, you're so thin! No fair!" Don't they know muscles weigh more than fat? My arms are like twigs. :eek:

12. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Sorry to keep bringing this thread down, but I want to give you all an update.

Yesterday at 9:23pm, Gary passed away. It was very peaceful and we were all in the room with him. We took him off all the blood pressure medications at 11:10am and eventually his heart just gave out. He even waited till his younger brother showed up and passed 8 minutes later so everyone in his family was there with him. I don't feel like talking too much more about it, maybe I'll give you all updates about it later. Funeral will be on Friday and I might pop in every once in a while before that, depending on how the planning goes.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kind words.

13. Lynet

Lynet New Member

All my sympathy to you, Brandon and his family.

14. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Thoughts on Moving a Downsizing...

Yes, although you may not have noticed, I was out for about a month, and am now back. (We'll, actually, I've been back since yesterday, but who's counting?)

I've been moving from what was basically a four bedroom home (five bedroom, if you count the dining room, which could have been used for either) with a fully finished basement, to a a tiny two bedroom (Well, one bedroom with a sunroom) apartment in Uptown!

So, three dumpsters, six trips to Value Village Donation site, and 9 trips to the Half-price Books buying desk later, I find that I STILL haven't downsized enough! Even after putting a whole bunch of stuff in storage!

So here is my advice to those of you contemplating down-sizing...DON'T! Just DON'T! Leave it to your children! They may curse you for it, but you won't be there, so you won't care!

Here are a couple of pictures to illustrate what I mean...

Attached Files:

15. surprised_by_witches

Shana, I'm so sorry. Give Brandon a hug for me.

And Sacha, sorry to hear about your problems as well. Good luck!

16. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Oh Shana - So sorry to hear that. You and Brandon remain in my thoughts and prayers...

17. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Oh Shana, so sorry to hear that. :( I hope everyone is okay.

18. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

So sorry for your loss seems so trite, but we don't deal very well with death and it pretty much covers all the bases. Let us know if we can help.

(PS so so funny sacha.)

19. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

I'm thinking of you Shana. :(

I don't think I'll go out with that guy after all. He tried to commit suicide with a power drill in woodworks. Or something. Oh well, better luck next time I guess.

Oh yeah, one of the Janitors became sick last week I think and passed away either today or yesterday due to sickness. We were told before the end of school, our poor teacher's lip was trembling when she told us. Poor guy. His name was Gary...

20. surprised_by_witches

Wow. That was fast. How sad.

And I'm sorry about the boy, too. I hope he's getting help.

Your school does not sound boring.

Edited to say: Hey! I just noticed I'm a "Magus Moderator." Does that mean I can cast spells? In addition to the hexes I already know, that is ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.