So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

I have my mother convinced I can't use any kitchen appliances. It's not exactly a lie. I once set a bag of microwave popcorn on fire.

The house did smell like vanilla for a day or so though.

2. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Okay, I'm not dumb...but HOW IN THE WORLD did it manage to smell like vanilla? Shouldn't it smell like burnt popcorn???? Piqued my interest...please tell more babe.

Oh, and Lynet, the way my BF loads the dishwasher irks the crap out of me, I know where your husband is coming from, and no, I'm not Virgo. I'm a Capricorn/Aquarius cusp. Oddly enough, he is the neat freak though, it's just that with the dishwasher there is a place for everything! (he's a pisces.)

3. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Oh God, IDK. Anythings possible with me Shana, you should know thta.

Or it could have been a cheap pack of popcorn. :eek:

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LMAO Shana but over here in Britland we have a different slant on popcorn. Butter and salt is just not enough. We like it with butterscotch, toffee anything incredibly sticky and vanilla is an essential ingredient for almost everything.

All of which put me in mind of a story about an American mother driving home with her young daughter after visiting with friends. The friends had also been entertaing a relative of theirs who was visiting the US from the UK. The little girl was inquisitive and asked the sort of questions that only little kids can come up with. "What do the people in England eat, Mommy?" she asked at one point. "Same as us mostly," the mother replied. "'cept all their food is wrapped up in pastry." (She'd gotten that piece of intelligence from her father who'd learned it the hard way ... in the pubs of southern England while waiting to invade Europe during WW2.)

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I've been rolling on the floor LMAO reading this thread. You are all too funny. My husband's birthday is September 19. I've no idea what sign that is because I never looked it up. My birthday is June 19 and I've been told many times that I'm gemini. (sp?).

Mirelly, I do have wireless network in the house because my son set it up. Unfortunately, the DSL line and router are attached to my computer in the room about to be painted. The cable line comes into the house directly to the second floor, far, far away from the basement.

I don't expect these painters to be moving in to live with us. I'm hoping they'll be gone in a week or two. So I'll just have to endure. (But I can check this site while at work. :shhh: )

6. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

OMG your husband IS a Virgo. August 22 - September 22.

Hah! I knew it.

And you say there's nothing to astrological signs.

BTW, Shana, I hate the way my hubby loads the dishwasher too but I'm just glad he does it. You don't sound very Virgo to me. If you were a Virgo you'd reload it or insist on doing it yourself ... :p You and I are both Capricorn cusp, on the opposite ends of the sign ...

My sister is a Pisces like your BF and she's a "whatever" housekeeper. I am too, most of the time, actually ...

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I'm not going to argue with any of this. ;)

I'm starting to think it's time to change my avatar again. Something less threatening. ALways a little unnerving to see it and realize it's mine.

8. surprised_by_witches

You are a wise woman. :p

And yes, it is a little frightening, I must admit ... though it shows a certain panache, there's no denying.

Plus, I've really grown to love Errol's ugly mug. He's quite a guy.

9. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

My Daughter, Moselle, is officially engaged to get married this summer...(Sorry Josh, you were too slow.) unfortunately for me I don't think I can get vacation time for around the 5th of August .... sigh... I'm know thing s will work out but right now.......

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ooh what fab news, Michelle. And what a lovely name you daughter has. As for getting time off work ... my advice is that a job is just a job but a daughter's wedding is only apt to come around once in a lifetime. This is a case of: "No one is indispensible, boss. If I can't have the time off then maybe I'd better just quit."

11. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Ive got to go to work today and look at the daybook.... maybe i can get someone to swap a week with me... I could work and spend time with her if she were getting married here... but we have to fly back to Missouri thus I'm going to need 24/7 or maybe 24/10

12. surprised_by_witches

Congratulations, Michelle! That's great news.

13. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

LOL, sad thing...I do reload it. I wait for him to leave for work and then I take it all out and put it back in the way I want it. Brandon finds it hilarious because I really don't care of things get a little cluttered on the kitchen table, but he freaks out. We balance each other nicely I guess you could say. Our apartment is always clean at least!

And Michelle, I agree with Mirelly. No matter what I hope you can make it to the wedding, I'd feel terrible if my mother couldn't make mine, of course I'd also reschedule it so she would be able to if she couldn't get off work. I hope it works out for you, and tell your daughter congrats from all of us here at world sims!

14. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Congratulations, Michelle. I've been thinking it :rolleyes: and didn't realize I hadn't actually said it out loud. I mean here which is as loud as I can be on the internet. :p Your daughter does have a beautiful name. Is it a family name?

When I hired for the job I have now I told the lady hiring me that my daughter's wedding was in two months and I'd need two weeks off. :D Without pay, of course. I got the time off and the job, too.

15. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I am about to disconnect my computer and move it to the basement. Rats, rats and rats again. :(

I'll check in tomorrow from my computer at work.

*mumble mumble rats rats rats*

*OK, maybe I'll just scan the site for just one teeny weeny second.*

mumble mumble :rolleyes:

16. surprised_by_witches

Hope you get back online soon! :(

17. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Man - I'd forgotten that! I remember when I was going to school in England, my friend and I were on a home-stay with a lovely couple (Anne and Peter) in Birmingham.

Well they'd invited a bunch of college students over to meet us one Sunday evening, so Marilyn and I made them some popcorn - American Style - with butter and salt. They politely ate some, but Anne told us later, that as soon as Marilyn and I had left the room, all of the Brit students were reaching for the Sugar Bowl! (At this point the Brits are probably saying "Yeah? So? WHat's wrong with Sugar on Popcorn??" and the Americans are probably saying "Eeeeew!":( D

18. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I like cheese on popcorn.

19. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Ooo! - Me too! Actually, now that I'm older, my Popcorn Seasoning has gotten more sophisticated. My current favorite technique is to mix up a Jamaican Jerk Spice blend (available for Penzy's - BEST spice store in the world, IMHO!) with some sugar (2/3 Spices to 1/3 Sugar). It's really spicy and sweet! Yum!!

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.