So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Flowers are nice, but electronics last longer. :)

Of course, I'm always a sucker for chocolate.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I wonder if I can afford jewelry this year :)

3. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I have NO clue what to get my mom for mothers day this year. Last year I got her the mother/daughter willow tree figure that we both love. She cried...this year I'm clueless!

On another note for SBW and Sach, found the most wonderful bookstore just north of Minneapolis near where I work...blink you'll miss it kind of a place. He's in one big room and there are piles and piles of old leather bound books and shelves full of more! We found a leather bound 18?? of Alice in Wonderland, and many more like it. I thought you would both appreciate a place like that. The guy runs his own hours, says he normally works noonish-7 on weekdays, but he's never sure if he'll work weekends. He just sets a little plywood tent sign outside the door to advertise... honestly I'm not sure how he's still in business but I'm sure he has regulars!

He's called Bumper Crop Bookshop; Books, Records, Art, Memorabilia (formerly known as Bibliopolis) Here is his website. I can give you directions if you want them.

4. ManagerJosh

At least you are one step ahead of me Shana. I absolutely have no idea what to get my mom every year -_-;

5. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Josh: perfume, a year of cinema tickets, earrings/ other jewellery, flowers (always welcome lol), pamper kits (body lotions etc), CDs or DVDs, computer stuff / gadgets, theatre tickets, or take mom on a trip out somewhere for a day, or take her shopping for new shoes/ handbag (or purse as they say in the USA).

Find her weakness :p and still add flowers to it. ;)

6. ManagerJosh

Perfume - mom doesn't like
    cinema tickets - mom doesn't watch enough
    earrings - mom doesn't like
    jewelry - the ones mom likes isn't in my budget range.. I could probably afford a a small stud...
    flowers - affordable
    body lotions - hmmmm..will give that some thought
    CDs and DVDs - doesn't watch enough
    technology - mom is slightly technophobic
    theatre tickets - mom doesn't like going out on the town
    trip - possibly....again she complains no time.
    shoes/handbags....this screams Nordstroms.

7. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Hmm ok :p well that narrows things down a bit. :) Sounds like mom is a busy lady, not much time to go and do things. Pamper kit sounds like a good pressie. ;) Body lotions, aromatherapy oils, foot spa, body massager, etc.

And flowers. :p

8. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

A pretty Scarf for her neck or shoulders? Or maybe: Decorative candles.... you know the kind she wouldn't buy for herself... or if she likes books, either a gift certificate for some or a book if you know what she likes. does she collect things.... like salt and pepper shaker sets or stamps.... if she has a hobby then something to make her hobby easier...

just a couple of ideas

9. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Good suggestions Michelle, I was thinking about hobbies too while I was out at the mall. Arts, crafts, reading, collections are all good.

I was thinking about home-made things too that give an extra touch - like home made cards with your own design and poem/ verse, or a slideshow/ video made with family pics or something, with a specially designed cd cover (if you have a printer that prints onto cds).

Another thing I thought of is cooking - buy a recipe book or an appliance/ gadget for the kitchen, only if mom likes to cook.

And flowers. :)

10. surprised_by_witches

Josh, I've been thinking about your mother's day dilemma ... do you live close to your mom? Why not take her out to lunch? If she doesn't like to go out, go to her house and help with the chores or make her lunch or something like that.

If she lives far away, how about a nice card and a long phone call? That's what my mom prefers.

Just some ideas for you.

11. MegRen

MegRen New Member

I got my mom a pair of earrings from Premier Jewelry. She got them yesterday since she'll be in Hawaii over the actual Mother's Day. Lucky woman.

12. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Last year for Mother's Day, I sorted through the THOUSANDS of digital photos I have taken of my Nephews and Niece who live here in Minnesota. I pulled the best ones together into a kind of storybook of their life so far - Holidays & Birthdays - Family Outings - Family Traditions - Playtime - That sort of thing. Then I sent them all off to Apple.com to have them hardbound into a glossy-paged picture book.

Sent the book to my mom, who lives in far off Oklahoma, and doesn't get to see these grandchildren nearly enough. She was THRILLED! I don't think I can top that this year! (Now my Sister wants me to do the same thing for her kids...Unfortunately, most of the pictures I have of her kids are Pre-Digital! Can Anyone recommend a good scanner???)

13. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

Yeah...My brother and I are probably going to split getting my mom one of those thin digital cameras. She hinted about it once or twice.
    She insists she wants "flowers" but thats not going to happen.

14. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Why not? I'm just curious. Does she get them all the time?

15. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

we use a brother mfc 6800... I know it's a scanner/fax/copier but it's good quality for the money. scans in color... and you can buy it with a color printer, but we just have the laser quality b/w

16. surprised_by_witches

17. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

LOL!!! That was the laugh I needed today. :) The facelift pic had me crying laughing, and had to stop at the Invisible onion and knife, or I would have fallen off my chair from laughing. :p

Will check out the rest after dinner. Thanks for the link, SBW! :)

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL. Thanks for that from me, too. I saw that site a while back and I wish now I had kept up with it.

19. surprised_by_witches

I have installed my new parts! OK, my brother did ... but still, pretty new Zalman fan and a 500W power source ... now I just have to restore my ancient drivers so the computer works OK, and back everything up on my adorable new external hard drive (it's really cute!).

And then I finally get to play!

After I take my daughter to the school carnival, that is. :rolleyes:

Anyway, fingers crossed that my computer can now handle the sims!

20. Vega

Vega New Member

that is great :)
    good you can play again, when my pc crashed the other day i was really upset i can imagine how you felt all this time without palying :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.