So, What's New?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Oooo! Hope I get invited to one! (Although I'm with Witch Baby...not sure if I'm ready to try the uncooked fish yet...)

2. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Lol Muffin the hoter the better.:eek:
    My favourite is peanut butter and chilli sandwiches. Taste just like sate.:D

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL I sympathise with those who find the idea of raw fish offputting, but I always saw this: if it ain't safe to eat raw, then cooking it won't save ya.

The worst thing about living where I do is that I am too far from a decent fish market (nearest one is an hour away.) I have been put off supermarket fish after discovering that Norwegian farmed salmon are frozen and shipped to China to be defrosted, filleted, skinned and portioned before being shipped back all packed into those little plastic trays to be sold as "fresh". :eek:

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Blech, Mirelly. I wouldn't buy that either. :p

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I know ... trouble is we'd all starve if we knew how our food was produced. I'd be much happier going out in the back yard and grabbing a fat head and whacking its head off with my big kitchen knife than buying an "oven ready" "product" :rolleyes: ... Trouble is there's probably a bye-law against it. Darn society. I got a 5th of acre here, some fowls and a goat would keep the weeds down. ;)

I stopped buying chicken by degrees ... first I refused to buy anything manufactured ... just whole fresh chicken ... then I insisted on being able to examine the bird for signs of bad husbandry, then I stopped altogether when the industry took to removing the feet up to the distal drumstick joint so I couldn't see the visual evidence of bad practise. I mostly eat domestic-reared lamb and outdoor reared pork now ....

6. surprised_by_witches

I found out they torture chickens on chicken farms and now I only buy free range eggs. Trying to talk hubby into free range eatin' chicken too, but so far we're just not buying chicken.

Chickens are horrid little beasties but that doesn't excuse torturing them. :mad:

But I agree, if we knew where all our food came from we'd starve instead. And if we only bought what our politics allowed we'd have half a square of sod, no clothes, and a trip to the looney bin.

One has to make compromises. But you can certainly pick your battles.

Which is why I don't buy big farm eggs, or shrimp of any kind. (Open sea destroys too many other types of fish; shrimp farming destroys the environment.)

There. Have I made y'all feel guilty enough yet? :p

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL ... glad you can read thru my typos ... :eek: ... of course I meant I'd like to grab a fat hen ... not a fat head ... but then again ... :rolleyes:

8. surprised_by_witches

What's new is Witch Baby and I are meeting Sacharissa for an all-day Harry Potter movie marathon at our local theater.

Oops! Gotta go! :D

So, as a P.S.: boy are my eyes tired, but we had fun, right Sacha? And Witch Baby placed third in the costume contest. She went as Luna Lovegood. She had radish earrings and a copy of the Quibbler, both of which she made herself. She read the Quibbler upside down in the lobby.

That's my girl!

9. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

That sounds like fun, SBW. A Harry Potter marathon... :sly: :rolleyes: I gotta see that new movie that's coming out soon (or maybe it has already out, I have no idea).

Going to Gothenburg tomorrow with my friends! I'm kind of excited about it. We're going to stay there for 3 days at a cosy little cottage. :eek: But we're going to drive off at 4 AM - which means that I'm going to have to wake up at 3 AM. Just thinking about it makes me tired! :nosleep:

I'll be away when the Short Story Contest prizes are given out to everybody. I haven't counted the points but it looks like I'm not going to win anything big. Still kinda sad that I'm going to miss it though. :( But it will all just be a nice surprise when I get home!

I should really start thinking of getting to bed, considering that I'll have to wake up at 3 in the morning tomorrow. :sigh:

See ya all later, then. *waves goodbye*

10. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Yes - the Hary Potter Marathon with SBW and Witch Baby was a lot of fun! Witch Baby made an adorable Luna Lovegood, and even beat out a very good Professor McGonegal and a terrific Harry Potter to take the 3rd Place prize. She was only beat by a Dementor (another friend's son - his costume was CREEPY!) and Hagrid (who really, looked just like Hagrid in the movies)!

I still can't believe we lasted all day! (10am to 10:30pm!!!)

11. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

We really need to start a WorldSims: MN Chapter... :rolleyes:

12. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

But then we would miss all of the great interactions from all of you people not blessed enough to live in our fair state!;)

13. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Ohhh ohhh!!! I claim president! :D ;)

14. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I second the motion!:D

15. surprised_by_witches

Heyyy, don't you need to be duly elected or sumpin?

We have a kitty!!! A brand new baby girl named Elinor. Our dog is being so good about the new arrival. What a good dog! She backs off immediately when Ellie feels threatened. I think they'll be good friends in no time.

Here are two photos of our new arrival.

Attached Files:

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Aw that is so cute. "I can has Momma's lap" for a lolcat caption to pic number one. :D

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Elinor is so cute. *sigh*

I'm on vacation this week, but at home. We're not going away. Maybe I'll actually do some housecleaning. :eek:

Who am I kidding?

18. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

somehow I sense some serious simming waiting in the wings.:scratchchin:

19. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Aww, what a cute kitty!! And cute dog in the background of the first pic. :slaphappy:

Came back from Gothenburg yesterday. I woke up a few hours ago from having a loooong nap on the sofa. I fell asleep around 6 PM thinking that I'd set an alarm on to wake up an hour later. The next thing I know, I wake up at 2 AM with the alarm clock in my hand! I must have fallen asleep before turning it on. :D Anyhow, I went to bed and woke up at 9 AM. How refeshing. :cheerful:

The holiday was great. First day we spent by trying to find the hotel we were staying at (it is so hard to find things in Gothenburg!!). Second day we went at an amusement park. It was really fun. During the last two days (and nights) we were at two rock festivals and saw lots of great bands. One of which was MCR. It's funny 'cause I don't even like them (that much) but I liked their concert the most, I think. We spent two days and nights at those festivals so we got hardly any sleep. We were just going to go to the first one but we found out that there was another one the day after so we went to that as well. Came home at 6 in the morning; got delayed home by one day due to the second festival. My feet and legs were killing me but it was fun anyway. Glad to be home. :)

... Now to get started on another chapter for the Viscottis'!

20. surprised_by_witches

LOL, Mirelly, wish that was my lap. That's Witch Baby's. But she's a Mama to Elinor too.

Yes, Muffin, Izzy is a cute dog, and a good dog. We're trying to keep her from feeling too jealous. Yesterday they touched noses, no hissing involved. I have hopes they'll be friends some day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.