Stories Contest

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vega, May 8, 2007.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ramble away. Our dearest Josh rushed to open a whole forum devoted to a game that not only doesn't exist, but quite possibly never will (SC5) and yet the Library remains an afterthought, still in beta, with no suitably eye-catching link to lead folks there ...

Sorry, Josh. My Mary from Maine poking stick was still on my desk ...

*Mirelly blushes with shame and puts her poking stick away in a very deep drawer*

2. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Where's your short story, Mirelly? :nosleep:

tick...tick...tick... :scared: :bomb:

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Darn it ... isn't it there yet? I mailed it last week. You wait till I get my hands on that man from FedEx. :rolleyes:

Actaully there's a deadline, isn't there? June 15th ... funny that date rings a bell ... oh yeah, it's a Friday and I have a date with a Crunchie(TM) ;) ... anyway I like deadlines ... I like the sound they make as they go whizzing past. Accordingly I plan to submit an entry on Sunday, when I have recovered from the minor oral surgery required to have the shards of dangerous-but-delicious, honeycomb removed from my gums. Oh, poop on waiting till Friday ... I gotta munch on a Crunchie right now! Chomp!

Meanwhile ...

Vertigo, by Moi Vraiment will appear when it ... escapes or at 07:06:15:23.59 ([FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] Coordinated Universal Time -7 hours) ... which means I'll have to get up early on Saturday morning to do the deed ... :p
    [/FONT]

4. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Oooh Mirelly, now I'm craving for a Crunchie! 'thank Crunchie it's Friday!' - I remember those adverts lol. I've had my willpower tested this last week, for chocolate. I bought some of those Cadbury Snaps (amongst other chocolate) for the staff on my last day at work on Friday - orange flavour and mint ones too - took them out of the boxes to put in a bowl and omg the chocolate smell called my name! :eek:

I'm soooo tempted to buy some chocolate and cave in to my desires, hehe. You're right about the Crunchies though - those honeycomb shards are annoyingly sticky and sharp. I liked Twirl - lots of them - pure chocolate heaven. :p

Oops, I digress. The Short Story Competition - I am having problems and have decided not to post a story, yet. However, I am looking forward to reading everyone's stories as the deadline approaches. :D

5. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Well, DRAT, Hugz! Can you go for the long contest?

And where's Vega? Vega's been extremely quiet lately.

I am anxious for Vega's story, too. :D

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

*does a Homer-style drooling action* <grrrraaaaahhhhllllll> :drip:

My fave chocolate at the moment is Asda Extra Special Belgian Dark Chocolate 76% Cocoa Solids ... I first found it in the baking supplies section but it's wicked just to let a square melt on the tongue. I usually start on the cooking chocolate when my supplies of fun-sized Crunchies runs out ... :rolleyes:

7. Vega

Vega New Member

Well i'm translating my story, and it's getting really bad so i guess you will be disaponteid Lynet :(

8. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Oooo how I miss Crunchies! I remember well my first Crunchie...standing there on the platform of the Liecester Square station, after having liberated that little block of heaven from a nearby vending machine, only to end it's short, but significant freedom, by ingestion...Oh, the memories...

9. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I will only be disappointed if you don't post it. This is all supposed to be fun, not like an exam in school. :) Please don't worry about anything.

Maybe you don't have to translate every word. You'll force me to learn something I didn't know before. Believe me, that would be a GOOD thing. :D

(Ever read The Name of the Rose?...sheesh...)

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I agree with Lynet, Vega. Your grasp of english is much better than most native speakers. The yarn is the thing. The best thing about english anyway is that most of it made up as we-who-use-it go along. In practise, this means that the average reader can decipher even the most garbled script. I mean, there are some folks that can even understand some of what I write, and that's saying something. :p

11. Vega

Vega New Member

Thanks Lynet :) you make me feel a little bit relieved :D and i will do my best to translate the story :eek:

12. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

I was just about to ask Vega how her story was coming along. :eek:

Don't worry about the translation. It's the story that we are looking at, not if your English is bad (which it probably won't be anyway!!!). Your English is great the way it is and we will understand what you mean even if you get some stuff wrong. :)

The way things are going now, it looks like everybody will get a prize! :trophy: :biggrins: Hey, Josh, will the prizes come in boxes with nice silky ribbons and luverly wrapping paper? :silly:

:champagne: Pop the champagne and lets part-aay! :D

13. Lynet

Lynet New Member

We need an experienced pollster to set up the poll. I know nothing about how, and I'm too old to learn.:eek:ld: And I guess we need it set up sometime on Saturday, the 16th. ??

So, the questions are...
    Who's going to set up the poll?
    What's the best way?
    Where can we put it to get the most attention?

Unrelated thought -- Gosh darn it, but I miss seeing comments. I've so come to depend on them. I hesitated about the summer literacy contest because a whole summer without comments about my story will be so painful for me to endure.

I still think it's better not to comment, but it is not an opinion I can easily support. :eek: I was afraid that comments would affect the reader's judgment, perhaps unfairly.

Does anyone feel differently about comments for the summer long contest?

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I will add the poll. No idea where. I'll have to think about it ... unless Josh comes up with an idea.

My preferred idea is to add a poll to each story so that every reader can vote for that story ... one reader, one vote: 5 voting options giving 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 points. After voting closes, we just count up the points :rolleyes:

I expect it could be automated but that would be too complex for a small compy.

15. muffin-tacos

That's an interessting idea, actually. :classic: Will it be one vote per story or one vote per everything (meaning that your only allowed to give your points to one story)? Personally, with a poll like the one Mirelly suggested, I think that it's better to have one vote per story.

Here's an interesting question that I just thought of: what are we going to do if there's a draw??

16. Lynet

Lynet New Member

We'll run out to the sidewalk and grab an innocent bystander to cast the deciding vote, then give 'em a cup o' coffee and a donut and send them on their way.

17. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

It is one of the reason's I've hesitated posting for the Summer Literacy contest...You pour your heart and soul into creating each chapter, but you must wait until the end of summer to get any feedback on whether or not it's any good? That seems too much like summer school to me! (And it's been REALLY hard not posting encouraging comments to the existing entries! At least we will be able to comment on the short stories soon!)

I can understand the rationale, but it's still hard...

18. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I've been thinking about this some more.

Do you realize that we are much, much harder on ourselves than anyone here who reads our stories.

I have been terribly spoiled by the feedback I get. Everyone is so encouraging and always has been.

So now I am alone with my summer long story and have only myself to please. I think, "Oh, drat and blast, I should have said thus and so, and not this and that...what will people think?" :rolleyes: But I'm actually enjoying it now, trying to think up new ways to look at my characters. It will be great fun to discuss it at the end of the summer. I'm looking forward to that.

Sacha, I'd like to see you submit a story. Be brave, because you will be the harshest judge of your own work. The rest of us will be quietly applauding. :D

19. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Well, it's a little past 6:30 PM where I'm sitting here on the east coast of the U.S. of A.

And I can tell you this -- I'm going to have an absolutely awful time trying to figure who to vote for in the Short Story Contest. Or how many points to give, if that's how Mirelly sets up the poll.

I want EVERYONE to win. Blast, the stories are ALL so incredible.

Of course, I haven't seen Mirelly's yet, but I'm assuming it'll be good, too.

20. muffin-tacos

The Announcement page has been unstickied. I understand why but what about the Literacy competition and all the chapters that us writers have posted there? :(

Shall someone start a new thread announcing the summer Literacy competition so that it's not forgotten?

Does this mean what I think it means?? :eek: I get to vote for my own story by choosing that one? Oh, I'm gonna faint... *faints*