Troubleshooting Strange Error with startup

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by mike0856, Oct 3, 2004.

1. mike0856

mike0856 New Member

Strange Error with startup

Ok, my specs are:
    amd athlon 2.5 ghz
    geforce mx 420
    512 mgs ram

After starting the game with the sims2 screen loaded up, it takes a long time and then goes to a message saying "Sims2 has caused an error in ~df394.tmp"
    and sometimes the file is different "~df394b.tmp" with a b added to it. this is becoming frustrating. I have updated my video drivers and have reinstalled about 4 times with no results. Ive even cleared out the temp windows folders with no success. anyone else have this problem?

2. kittnwthclaws

kittnwthclaws New Member

tres possible its the game itself. Not every game is perfect! I would call the store you baught it from, or best buy ask tell them about it. Or try called maxis ! Or e-mailing, you might have a virus or something doing that , you never know. they can helP! :D

3. Malanga

Malanga New Member

hey mike0856,

I have the same problem. If you find out what it is, please share it with me.
    I have noticed that a lot of people have this problem, but no one has found the solution yet.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

5. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

My WAG on the matter is "not enough RAMs". Closely followed by "not enough HD space". TS2 is a major HD pig. How's your free drive space looking?

6. Malanga

Malanga New Member

Hey ManagerJosh, here I give you my specs and a discription of my problem, just as you ask. I hope you can help me out. thnx in advance

1) CPU : 2.51GHz Intel Pentium 4
    2) RAM/Memory: 512 MB
    3) Free Hard Disk Space : 70.4 GB
    4) Total Hard Disk Space : 125 GB
    5) Graphic/Video Card : nvidia GF4 Ti 4200
    6) Graphic/Video Card Driver Version : 6.1.7.7
    7) DirectX Version : DirectX 9c
    8) Operating System : Windows XP
    9) Sims 2 CD version
    10) The installation goes smooth, but once I try to run the game I see the splash screen and after that a error occurs and the program just stops. I see a winodws box with the question to send or not send the problem to MS.

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Have you tried compatibility mode?

8. J. M. Pescado

Meh. I wouldn't think you should need "compatibility mode" for a program that's supposedly natively designed to run in XP. But hey, anything's worth a shot. Me, I'd personally suggest either randomly reinstalling things aka. voodoo debugging, or percussive maintenance.

9. Malanga

Malanga New Member

My system is compatible, I really dunno what it is. I've tried several things now and it's not working .:confused:

10. J. M. Pescado

Well, you know the saying....if at first it doesn't work, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

11. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Weird... looks perfectly fine on paper. Is Windows updated with any service packs?

12. Malanga

Malanga New Member

Yep, Windows has been updated with SP2

13. norris_309

norris_309 New Member

I have just posted in another thread about the Sims 2 freezing on the splash screen & showing an error.
    Having experienced this myself i found that it was the actualy drive in which i was loading the cd from that was at fault (even though i installed it form that drive!)
    Out of my 3 drives:
    tdk cd-rw
    hitachi dvd-rom
    Pioneer dvdr

Only the (newer) pioneer dvdr works, but it does work :)

so hopefully this will help you guys.

Cheers

14. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Ah. Yes. Long time and constant, steady blinking of the media drive light is key. TS2 seems to be incredibly picky about the drives it will run on - it runs on my CD-ROM, yet refuses to run on my DVD-RW. Hopefully, you have 2 drives, possibly more, as in norris' case, if you have a Serial ATA harddrive on a RAID array (in which case, I envy you). If you don't have 2 drives... you *could* get a 52x CDROM drive for around $15, but then it would need to be installed, which not everyone can do unassissted.