Stray Away Pet Prevention

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by Amy Sims, May 12, 2003.

1. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

Stray Away Pet Prevention

Hi

I just wanted to inform everyone that I had a problem with the Stray Away Pet Prevention System. :(

I took a look at the forums on thesims.com and found someone who had a similar problem. I am not sure how many other people have had this problem. The problem is as follows :

I went into my game to build something, then I went to thesims.com and downloaded the object. I started up the game again and the game shut down half way through load up and sent me back to desktop. This happened several times so I deleted the object. Even after I deleted the object from my files, it kept happening. The only way I could play my game was to uninstall the sims from my computer and reinstall all of the cd's again.

Then, just to make sure it was that object that messed up my unleashed game, I installed the object again from thesims.com. (Dumb, I know) And wouldn't you know it, the problem kept occurring. So I had to reinstall everything again.

So, I found that I can get the object. But if I do, I can't play the game.

The next best thing, I'll build a fence around the yard. LOL

Sincerely,
    Amy

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

ak! I just installed that but haven't tried to run my game since installing it... I hope I don't have to uninstall and reinstall everything! :( And it looked like it would solve the stray pet problems I've been having with the neighbors dogs digging up the STREET! :p

If anyone else has installed this and DOESN'T have problems, post and let me know!!

3. hataz_gon_hate

hataz_gon_hate Be Nice

i never crosses anything like this before

4. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Did you download and install the object from the Sims Official site haz? Or are you saying you never heard of it? (I can't tell if you've got it and didn't have trouble or not! :p )

I have my game working ok so far with it installed, but I haven't tried to use it yet... I think I'll try to get my sim to do other stuff and SAVE before putting it up if it might crash my game!

Also, Amy, what computer operating system and which other Sims expansions do you have?

5. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

Hi FaeLuna

Sorry for the late reply. I've been in the new Superstar Expansion pack. I love it.

I have windows 98, 40 gig hard drive, and 448.0MB Ram. I own All of the Expansion Packs except the Deluxe Edition. (I didn't think I needed it since I have all of the other cd's)
    I've reloaded everything back onto my computer, but I am hesitant in downloading the Stray-Away object again. I would hate to have to back up everything again just to have to reload for the third time. The other person who had the same problem, downloaded the object again to only have it crash the game.
    Its a mystery to me.

Sincerely,
    Amy Sims

6. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Well I just got Superstar too, and I have the pet prevention system download installed and my game hasn't crashed from it... yet... But I haven't tried to have any of my sims actually USE it on their lot... is that when the crashing started, or was it just from the installation? :eek:

I'm running windows XP Pro, 120 Gig drive that's only got about 20-30 gig free on it, 512 RAM, and all the expansions installed on the Deluxe edition to get started, as my original sims cd bit the dust and it was a good excuse to get the added STUFF... ;)

7. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

For me, the Unleashed loading screen would begin, get half way done and then shut down and send me back to desktop. I couldn't reach the game screen at all. Your not the only one who is having trouble with their sign. There are people who have it and it doesn't work at all.
    I wanted the extra objects that came with Deluxe, but I usually get to download them when someone recolours them and makes them available for HotDate.

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I have an unusual huge LAG when I'm first starting the game.. the sound says the "EA Games challenge everything" and then it's a couple of minutes after that when the logo finally comes up... then a few more minutes of darkness... then finally it starts in with the game loading screen with the cute stuff scrolling by the bottom. I thought that might just be my computer needing to be defragged, do you think it might be the pet prevention download causing that? Maybe it's TRYING to crash it before it starts but my computer barely makes it "over the hump" as it were....

9. katjam699

katjam699 New Member

i'm waiting to get superstar. i think i'm getting it for my birthday, if not i'll buy it myself!!!
    i installed the stray away pet prevention from the official site and it works great!! THANK YOU who ever thought up this great add in!!!!!!!

10. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hmmm...wonder how it will react with superstar after it is installed.

11. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Well my friend came over and was playing Superstar and she tried putting the pet prevention system in the yard and it worked, and didn't crash the game or anything. When she wanted to remove it the game counted it as an object in use, so to remove it we had to use the move_objects on cheat. Other than that though, no problems so far!

12. hataz_gon_hate

hataz_gon_hate Be Nice

yes, i have never crossed anything like this before...i downloaded it and i use it

13. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

Hrm... I haven't had to deal with that problem since I haven't downloaded that item.
    Pretty weird. You'd think a Maxis item would be safe. :p

14. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

Well I'm still scared to download the Pet Prevention System and I haven't downloaded it since the third time that I had to reinstall. And that's not a chance I'm willing to take again. :)
    I don't know why it crashed my game and wouldn't allow the game to load up. Its a mystery to me.
    I did talk to Maxis about it when they were helping me figure out why I couldn't get onto HotDate lots after I installed Superstar. They had no clue why the Pet thing did that to my computer so I think that it was probably a glitch or something.
    After I reinstalled for the third time, the game hasn't had any difficulties and I'm at least happy with that. :)

Sincerely,
    Amy

15. LordBrain515

LordBrain515 New Member

Well, I hate to revive an old thread, but... Did you ever think of just deleting the .far file that the object is in and try and load your game? (The far file was installed to Downloads/NoPetSign).

Now I'm kind of worried...I just used it for the first time earlier today... I hope everything goes alright... Next time I play I'll come back and tell you if anything went wrong..

16. LordBrain515

LordBrain515 New Member

Everything worked A-Okay :) This thread may now return do it's dead state.

17. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

Well, I gave in and downloaded the Pet Prevention System. And this time it works. I didn't have any problems starting or playing the game. Its strange that I had the problem with it in the first place. Must have been a glitch somewhere.

Sincerely,
    Amy Sims

18. viskamiro

viskamiro New Member

I never downloaded it... I like the strays !

19. LordBrain515

LordBrain515 New Member

I don't mind the strays, except for when they come inside my house and make a mess...

20. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

Oh I hated the strays. In, "real" life I don't let unknown animals walk into my house and I found it very bizzare that Maxis would enable them to. I put the Pet Prevention System at all four corners of a lot just incase some like to sneak in the back way. They have done it before, but no more. :)

Sincerely,
    Amy Sims