SimCity 4 Street Bridges

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by PhilipTarbuck, Feb 12, 2003.

1. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Street Bridges

Can you make a street bridge, ie a bridge on a street? Level Crossings (What do you call them in the U.S.A.?) are a nuisance and I would like to take the street over the top but I can't - can I?
    Level Crossings are where the railway (sorry - railroad) and the street are at the same level.

2. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

You unfortunatly cant make street bridges - only road bridges, and as far as i know you're stuck with level crossings for now.

3. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Uhm what's the difference here?

*Feels kind of lost*

4. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

Well...u will understand when u play sc4...
    its such a pain at times

5. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Ooohhh. Yeah I hope so. But I think it's more of a language thing here. On the other hand prepare yourself of ALL sorts of weird and crazy questions from me then Lew. :classic:;)

6. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Nina. The differences between American English and English English are not very significant. They call railways railroads and I guess that they call level crossings something else. They have somewhat different spellings - harbor instead of harbour; check instead of cheque; maildrop instead of mailbox, and so on. I would like to have a bridge to carry the road over the railway but I can't until I get a highway. We have level crossings near where I live and they are a nuisance. There is a long wait when an express goes through.

7. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Thanks Philip. A road crossing a railroad in a different level - got it. or roads crossing on different levels - right?
    Well that would certainly be neat if it worked in the game. :classic:
    But from your comments I take it it doesn't exist other than with a highway.
    What I was wondering about was the words road and street. For me it's the same thing. We have 2 different names here too, but there's no difference between them, just the naming.
    Example: Sims street or Sims road... What's the diff? For me none, except how it sounds. We use the words "vg" and "gata". There's no difference between them at all.

8. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I don't know whether or not the Americans speak of roads and streets as different, but they do in this game. A road is a more important highway, which is another term they do not use in the same way.
    I gather they use street to mean one which serves the neighbourhood; road is meant to go inter-city or inter-zone or for commuting; highway (motorway in England - autobahn in Germany - I thought it was 'freeway' in the U.S.A.?) is an inter-city, inter-state highway.
    No - no bridges with roads and street and railways (railroads).

9. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Thanks Philip. The direct translation for highway here is the same as Motorway lol. Otherwise we only have either roads or streets insidecitys.

Then "countryroads" (direct translation) which are going between places but are not to be considered as highways.

It's amusing to see the differences in use of language. :classic:

10. toddyo1388

toddyo1388 New Member

I think part of the problem is that we Americans don't all use the same words for the same things... I think the Highway/Freeway/Expressway/Interstate are all pretty much the same, but some cross state lines, others are within a state... As for the difference between Streets and Roads, I've always considered them the same, but in the game it's definitely a difference. Maybe in future versions there should be an option for a "lane" or a dirt road that costs very little to build and maintain, and gives a discount when streets or roads are built over the dirt roads. Taking this one step further, why not be able to start with dirt roads, upgrade to a gravel road, then eventually pave. Any thoughts?

11. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

That was really interesting Toddyo. I like that. :classic:
    And welcome here. Hope you will enjoy yourself and have lots of fun. :classic: