STUPID CHARGEBACK!! AND ON A DONATION TOO! GRRRrrrr!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I wish I knew more about it, Josh. I only know that for small dollar amounts (meaning claims of less than $500 or some such amount) a Maryland resident could get a form from the courts and file a claim without involving an attorney. I suspect there are some formalities like fees and notary publics. But I don't really know. I never actually filed a claim myself. I just heard about it. I DID get another type of legal document off the internet and use it without problems.

Why don't you do a little research on the internet starting with the State of California website?

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

As many of you well know, WorldSims in the last few weeks have been battling a chargeback from a Mr. John Sievers. We lost both cases to the issuing credit card company as they sided with Mr. Sievers that the transaction was unauthorized. Sum it up, we're now $40.00 in the hole.
    With a at length conversation at PayPal, I can't believe how friviolous the case was built up upon, with the argument saying the transaction was unauthorized. It doesn't make any sense. You don't get anything in return for a donation and it's clearly explicit it is a donation. But alas, the issuing credit card company believes the card was stolen to make such a transaction to gain some sort of advantage and they still sided with the Mr. Sievers. In the last several years with working with credit card companies, people who attempt to defraud the system, there is a need to gain something in return, a product or a good, of some sort that could be used to their benefit. There is none here, and it's a donation but they still feel it's unauthorized. There's no motive and there's no benefit to the person who placed the transaction.
    Naturally I'm not happy, as that's money that comes out of the WorldSims expansion budget and throws my entire plans into a muck. Moreso, I'm not happy at the fact there's so many roadblocks in the discovery process that hinders my investigation to whether the transaction was legal or not, short of sending a subpoena and retaining a different set of lawyers to do so. I couldn't even get a city, state to isolate the user.
    So thanks to Mr. Sievers here, expect changes. I know these changes are NOT going to be pretty, but thanks to the dishonesty of one person, it ruins it for everyone. I know change does hurt, so these changes will not GO INTO EFFECT until January 2, 2007.

CHANGES:
    -Donation System will now be removed.
    -SimsPass will be our primary donation method.
    -A CONFIRMED Shipping Address will now be required.
    -Shipping Information, IP addresses, Transactions will now be documented at length.
    -Due to the nature of now we're required to ship a good, prices will now reflect a shipping and handling fee.
    All prices will reflect a $5.00-$10.00 increase to cover shipping costs due to the requirement of shipping an item. I've yet to make a full decision on the final prices, but do expect an increase. Price increases will NOT GO INTO EFFECT until January 2, 2007 to allow a transition period to occur.
    I'm sorry about the price increases, but it was not my intention to increase prices. But because of the rash actions of one individual, I will need to take future steps to protect WorldSims and myself. I hope this does not put off anyone from contributing to our site in the future. Any questions, please feel free to contact me.

All the best,
    ManagerJosh

3. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

and did I understand correctly that the man got two chargebacks for the cost of one donation? if so that hardly seems fair.......

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Well it came in the form of two donations, two $10.00 donations, to make up $20.00. Each donation, got a $10.00 chargeback -_-

5. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

The outcome of the 'investigation' is totally unacceptable. I'm so sorry Josh that you have had to bear the chargebacks, it's so unfair. I completely understand that the donation facility is going to be removed, because frankly, anyone could do this again and again to you and Worldsims.

The idea that the card was stolen and used for these donations is hard to believe. Who would steal a credit card and use it for something that gives them no material reward? Making purchases online is one thing but a donation? Twice? I still believe that this person did this maliciously, JMHO.

That said, the credit card company should realise that you shouldn't have to bear the chargeback cost as you didn't ask for the donation, nor offered goods that could be returned to you. Basically, you have incurred charges for no reason at all and therefore have been scammed. The credit card company should waive the chargeback.

Did the 'Mr Sievers' reply to your email? If he had a genuine bone in his body he would ask the credit card company on your behalf to waive the chargeback.

6. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

what's his email.... maybe we should start a campaign on behalf of worldsims for him to cease and desist.

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

What are you going to ship? How about membership cards.