The New Seven Wonders of the World

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mirelly, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The New Seven Wonders of the World

http://www.new7wonders.com/

They are compiling a new list of the seven wonders of the world (covering all human history to 2000AD. Anyone can vote ... and it's free. Voting ends on 7/7/07 ... which is spooky cos it's all sevens ... :rolleyes:

Make sure your country's pride and joy is represented ... or just make sure the list is a good one.

I chose these:

The Acropolis

Angkor
    Chichen Itza
    Great Wall of China
    Kiyomizu Temple

Machu Picchu
    Stonehenge

2. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Oooh I didn't know about this, thanks for the link Mirelly. :)

My list is pretty similar to yours, all except 2 of them.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ooh, please fess up then. Don't keep me hanging in suspense. I've always been fond of the Chichen Itza ... it sounds like something that's been deep-fried in a crispy breadcrumb coating ... :rolleyes:

I'm fortunate enough to have been inside Stonehenge before it was more seriously touristified. I also visited the Acropolis before the Parthenon was made off-limits due to wear and tear ... these monuments are getting more and more look but don't touch.

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I chose:

Colosseum
    Great Wall of China
    Hagia Sophia
    Machu Picchu
    Petra
    Statue of Liberty (of course)
    Stonehenge

5. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

I chose

Sydney Opera house
    and I cant remember the rest.:D

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL the only reason I left out lady Liberty was her origins. Likewise the Eiffel tower which have looked a lot more like a venerable world wonder with a few battle-bent girders ... :rolleyes:

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Well, I voted for the Statue of Liberty more for the emotional appeal of her -- at the entrance to the harbor where millions entered the country.

Most everything else is a wonder because of its marvel as a feat of engineering. Not to be taken lightly. Although there are many very educated theories about how the Egyptians built their pyramids and raised the obelisks*, no one is really certain. The same with the Inca civil centers -- massive stones laid one on the other with precision, and high up in the mountains.

(* is that the plural of obelisk? :eek:)