Troubleshooting The screen screws up..

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by GuiltyInnocence, Jan 22, 2008.

1. GuiltyInnocence

GuiltyInnocence New Member

The screen screws up..

I installed the Sims 2 today. I have a Windows Vista and at first the Sims 2 worked perfectly but the tops of the sims heads would start to disappear or the hairstyle would change with different camera angles/positions and then the screen screwed up really bad. I exited the game, came back to play later and everything was fine but for some reason when I fast forward the screen will start to screw up and I took a screenshot and here is what happened in the game:

[​IMG]

Is there anything I can do?

2. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

You could update your Graphics Card driver to the latest version. What are your card's specs?

3. GuiltyInnocence

I believe it's ATI Radeon X1250. I'm not positive on how to check the specs though. :\

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yah:

Start >> type dxdiag in the Start Search box. Clcik on dxdiag.exe in the results panel

To me that corruption looks like your graphics card is overloading.

I suggest you try turning down the setting in the settings menu.

If that doesn't help you either need better and more efficient cooling or a better graphics adapter.

See Question 2 of the FAQ: FAQ Thread - WorldSims Forums so you supply us with exact information we need to help you more.

5. GuiltyInnocence

I got no dxdiag.exe result. :\

6. Judhudson

From the start menu, select Run and type dxdiag into the box. Then export all of that information to a text file. Post it here.

Had the exact same problem on a friends card, I just ended up replacing it for him.

7. GuiltyInnocence

Wait I'm sorry. I went to actual SEARCH instead of using that search box, didn't notice it at all! The prompt came up and asked if I wanted to check if the drivers were digitally signed.

8. GuiltyInnocence

Sorry for double posting. Did you want the information in the dxdiag pop-up where it says System Information and a bunch of stuff is listed under it?

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

This page shows you the dxdiag screens and tells you which bits we need.

It's the question 2 from the FAQs that I told you about.

Note to Judhudson, Windows Vista doesn't have a "Run" option. Instead it has a search facility which returns a list of matching executables.

10. Judhudson

Actually, it does, I'm staring at it right now in the start menu. :)

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK, I'll show you mine, if you show me yours.

ETA: It doesn't count if you're not using the Vista start menu. Any bozo can roll-back an application to use a friendly old interface. Us young go-getter whippersnappers are perfickly happy to master new techknowlidgee. :silli:

Attached Files:

• dt.jpg
      dt.jpg
      File size:
      96.2 KB
      Views:
  12. Judhudson

Ah! It's been a long time, so I couldn't remember what was set on default. To get the Run option back on your start menu, Right click the Start button and select properties. Click on the "Start menu" tab and select "customize". Scroll down the list and make sure "run command" is checked.

It's been since January of last year when I bought Ultimate, so I can see how I forgot that it was left out on default (which is a huge stupid mistake on Microsoft's part)...

13. GuiltyInnocence

Yeah I have the vista start menu, no run button visible. But now I do, thanks! :p

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
    Memory: 1790MB RAM
    Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_ldr.071009-1543)

I'm running The Sims 2 from my external portable hardrive. Used space: 46.9 GB / Free Space: 185 GB.

DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    Card name: ATI Radeon X1250
    Driver Version: 7.14.0010.0489 (English)
    Display Memory: 895 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 255 MB
    Shared Memory: 639 MB

Game Version: Sims 2 CD/No expansions installed.
    Problem: Stated.

14. Judhudson

15. GuiltyInnocence

Do I need to install and create an account for this "STEAM" thing? I was playing the Sims 2 and then it just minimized itself and something for STEAM came up and wanted me to create an account.

16. Judhudson

Nope... I don't think Steam is even involved with any Sims products...

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh, GuiltyInnocence! My bad. You are running the game on a laptop, yeah? With TS2 installed on an external USB-connected drive? Yeesh. All that lag and heat. Is the machine too hot to have on your knees when you play? Hot enough to keep pizza piping hot?

Get a laptop cooling pad, and/or reduce your graphics settings to the lowest setting for all adjustable options and only increase one setting, one notch at a time once you establish that running at crap quality actually works. Keep increasing the settings, one at a time, one notch at a time, until you start encounter difficulties.

No worries, Jud. Just remember that with Vista it necessary to not assume that users needing help are not known for customization. I have tried to avoid customizing Vista as far as possible because Vista-savvy helpers are still a bit thin on the ground with many geeks holding out and keeping to nice safe XP ...

18. GuiltyInnocence

Thank you Jud.
    No Mirelly, desktop. ;) Thanks.

I have played the game twice and everything seems to be running fine so far! No glitches, no image screwiness, nothing!

Thank you all.

19. Judhudson

Your welcome.