Troubleshooting The Sims 2 System Requirements

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Supernova

Supernova New Member

ouch. My computer downstairs has less then 256 megs of RAM and it has XP. So i assume I'll want at least 1 gig on my new computer?

2. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I'm a huge gamer though.:D Really with XP I would have 512MBs of RAM to run smoothly. :)

3. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

yeah. i have 512 in mine and it runs pretty well.

4. Supernova

Supernova New Member

The problem with my computer is that it can't run almost any new game, so I don't really need RAM at all. Its quite sad really.

5. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

Do you need a new computer? I just got a laptop in feb 2004

6. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Hurrah! My new computer is on it's way! I got it ordered yesterday. It has about triple the requirements for the sims 2. It has 3.0 GHz P4 Processor, 1 GB of RAM, and a 256 MB Radeon Vid Card. And a DVD ROM drive. Gotta get that DVD version :D .

7. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

great news supernova!

8. Sheba_speed

Sheba_speed New Member

Please Help

Ok, This is my 1st post so please reply & be friendly! :) plz. I went yesterday and pre-ordered the sims 2. I got a new sony vaio at christmas the specs are..:eek:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 245MB used, 1004MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Card name: RADEON 9200
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON 9200 AGP (0x5961)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5961&SUBSYS_50021043&REV_01
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6368 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 7/6/2003 12:23:36, 302592 bytes

I dont no if use need to no more .. If you do just ask.

Will my specs let me play the sims at a reasonable speed and quite good graphics? Theres no point having a game when you have to wait for 20 minutes while it loads. Please Help :confused:

9. tinkerbell_bby

tinkerbell_bby New Member

um hi everybody:p :p

10. Supernova

Supernova New Member

It looks fine to me. All the specs go beyond the requirements for the Sims 2. If you wanna check the system specs for the Sims 2, go to the official website.

11. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You meet or exceed all the minimum specifications and your card (while not the best on the market) is one of the supported ones. You should do fine.

It's really hard to say whether something will "look good" until the game actually has been played on the specs. As long as it will run, your best bet is to see how *you* like it when you play the game.

If you think your graphics aren't good enough, then and only then go and get a better card. But if you do, aim for getting something like a Radeon 9800Pro or better or a Geforce FX 5900 or 6800. No use getting something that is only minimally better than what you have.

You didn't list your harddrve space (which isn't in the dxdiag, unfortunately.) You can find that by opening My Computer, right clicking on your harddrive, and selecting properties. The total space isn't as important as your unused space. You'll need 3.5gb (yes, GB. It takes 4 CDs to hold just the game) for the game, and then room besides that for saved games, your houses/families/neighborhoods and for custom content. (Figure that any custom content you get will take up much more room than the equivalent in TS1. The files are huge in comparison.)

I hope this helps.

Welcome to the forum!!!

12. Sheba_speed

Sheba_speed New Member

I have 120gb, 512 mb ram.. does this help at all?

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

14. s0ngxbird

s0ngxbird New Member

Ok, at the risk of sounding like a huge idiot and messing up my first post ever, i have a question. how do you find this information about your computer? i have no clue what kind of RAM or whatever is on my computer... i got it a few years ago and i just got XP put on it. but now i'm worried that it might not be able to handle TS2. Anyway... mine was a gift i got from my parents a few years back.. so i don't know any info about my computer. Should i look up the model on the maker's webiste? or what?

15. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It's always good to know the information from the maker's website. This is especially important if you want to upgrade as the information on that is usually not readily available within the computer itself.

However, you can find out basic information about your computer from your computer's dxdiag.

You get that by going to Start, clicking on Run, typing dxdiag in the box and then clicking to activate it. From the first tab (which usually has the system information) you get:
    operating system
    processor (make/model and speed in mhz or ghz)
    memory (RAM)
    direct X version (to know if you'll need to upgrade. 9.0b or better is what's required for the game.)

under Display or Display Devices you'll find:
    card name
    Chip type (if different form the card name)
    display memory ("approx. total memory" or video RAM)

To find out how much room you have on your harddrive, go to My computer and right click on your harddrive (usually C:). Then click on properties. It has total, amount used, amount free and a pie chart showing what percentage is used.

It's good to have at least 25% of your harddrive free, or at least 5gb, for "manuevering" room for your operating system. Also, if you have less than 15% free, you may not be able to do a disc defragmentation.

And if you use your computer for gaming, you should do frequent defrags. On TS1 with Superstar, for instance, you should defrag when you are done playing each time. It wasn't so bad after Makin' Magic. We don't know how much TS2 will "chew up" the drive, but nightly defrags can't do harm but can do a lot of good. Waiting until the "analysis" says to do a defrag is for business purposes but is not sufficient at all for people doing gaming.

16. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

Same with me. 512 mb is awesome!

Supernova I wanted to let you know that you can post on my forums now.:)

17. Supernova

Supernova New Member

Ya thx. But i have 1000 MB. :D

18. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

Is everyone ready for the game to come out? I am!

19. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I am MORE than ready for the Sims 2 to come out. I think i will ritualisticly sacrafice my Sims in the original to speed the Sims 2's arrival... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

20. Killah Heels

Killah Heels New Member

can anybody tell me if the sims2 will run on my comP?

THANKS!!!!

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel(R) 82845G/GL Chip
    Approx. Total Memory: 32.0 MB
    Processor: Intel(R) Celereon(R) CPU 2.00 GHz, ~2.0 GHz
    Memory: 126MB RAM
    Direct X Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)