Troubleshooting The Sims 2 will not start!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by josefineaa, May 12, 2007.

1. josefineaa

josefineaa New Member

The Sims 2 will not start!

Hi. I have a Dell Dimension 9150 computer who will not run The Sims 2. I have innstalled it without any problems, but everytime I run the Sims 2 I get a pop-up where it's written: Didn't found a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphiccard in this system. Control that you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphiccard and have installed the newest drivers from this produser. I have uninstalled The Sims 2 a few times and tried again and I have restarted the computer after the insatlation but The Sims 2 still don't work. Can someone help me to do this? If someone can help me with this problem I would really appreciate it!:)

PS: I have installed The sims 2 on this computer before and I remember that I had the same problem then, but I managed to fix it. But now I don't remember how i did that.

More information:
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1022MB RAM
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    Free Hard Disk space: 121 GB
    Total Hard Disk space: 144 GB
    DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Display Adapter: It's empty on DirectX diagnostic tools -> Display -> Device -> Name
    Main driver: vga.dll, 5.01.2600.0000 (Norwegian), 10.08.2004 13:00:00.
    Approx. Total Memory: It's empty on DirectX diagnostic tools -> Display -> Device -> Approx. Total Memory

2. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Hi josefineaa,

I am not the best person to help with technical problems - I'm not ignoring your post, just don't know how to help you. However, I can point you in the direction of our Frequently Asked Questions thread - http://forums.worldsims.org/showthread.php?t=7695

and the Sims 2 EA help site - http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/home.php?p_sid=wYcNzcxi

You can also do a search here at WorldSims to see if someone else has had the same problem or found a solution.

If you still can't find the help you need after trying those, maybe another member here will be able to help you soon. Good luck!

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi, Josefina,

Try running through the advice on the official help site (here)

However your specs look worrying on two fronts:

Memory = 1022MB if that is not a typing error you could have memory trouble 1024 is a full gigabyte ... 1022 is no kind of number except one given by a faulty memory block

No information on the dxdiag Display tab. This is very serious. It means that dxdiag can't find your graphics adapter. It's hardly surprising that the game can't find it either.

Do you know what sort of graphics card you have? Are you sure it is properly installed? You may need to seek professional repair help if you are not confident about checking for yourself.

I must admit that I have not seen before anyone with an empty field in DirectX diagnostic tools -> Display -> Device -> Name ... :eek:

4. LARISSA_0610

LARISSA_0610 New Member

i have the same problem but with the sims 2 pets! please help!

5. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Assuming that the graphics card has not been changed, you have a ATI Radeon X600 graphics card. Install the drivers from here and see if that fixes your problem. (or at least gets Directx to see your graphics card.)

About the 1022MBs of RAM, I wouldn't worry about it. It seems to be an error with Windows detecting the capacity of RAM. Windows XP said that I had 1022MBs of RAM instead of 1024MBs, now with Windows Vista I have 1023MBs. :rolleyes: So either the RAM is fixing itself, or Windows is wrong yet again.

6. josefineaa

josefineaa New Member

I tried to download the drivers for ATI Radeon x600 grapihcs card, but it didn't work. I got a message where it was written that I didn't have the software. I can't understand what the problem with my graphic card is. :confused: I have tried to innstall Lord of The Rings and CSI: Dark Motives with no problems. The games run without any problems..

7. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Actually before we do anything I typed up go into the Device Manager (Right click 'My Computer' and click 'Manage'. Select 'Device Manager' from the side list.) press the little + next to 'Display Adapters'. If there is anything listed under this reply back with what is actually listed there.

Right clicking the device and selecting properties will open up a new window and look in the Device Status box. What does it say?

Continue if there is nothing under the 'Display Adapters'. Otherwise post what is under 'Display Adapters' and what the status of it is.

Guess it's time to open up the computer case. Do NOT touch anything without being grounded! Static can kill computer chips easily, so keep a hand on a metal part of the case or the outer casing of the PSU (the thing with all the wires coming out of it).
    Check to see if the graphics card is properly fitted into it's socket (take it out, check for any dust, use compressed air to clear out the socket if you find dust.) and look for a sticker or some kind of marking that should say what the graphics card is (not just Ati or Nvidia, but the model also.

Take the computer to a good computer shop, or Dell I guess but I have no experience with them but if its within warranty call Dell even before you open up the case.

8. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

I use surgical gloves. Its safer. However grouding on the metel case works to.

9. sparstar7

sparstar7 New Member

Help!!

I bought the sims 2 for mac awhile ago, and it first worked. I closed the program and when I came back to open it again it wouldn't open. Now everytime I try to open it, it says that it needs 1 MB of free space on my hard drive. Howeverm I'm sure I have enough space. help?