How Do I there is probably a thread for this but.......

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by babyace2006, Dec 31, 2007.

1. babyace2006

babyace2006 New Member

there is probably a thread for this but.......

Sorry if there is a thread for this...and if there is one could someone point me in the right direction please.....OR:
    Does anyone know how to "back up" your sims ...I have got soo far and I would like to make sure that I can back up my sims in the scary event of losing stuff on my computer/hard - drive?

Thank you

Happy New Year to you all

:D

2. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

(edited by hugzncuddles)

Sorry Jud, I removed the link you posted as it led to a page which contains some other content that's not endorsed/encouraged by WorldSims (ie with regard to 'family' rated).

In answer to babyace2006's query - the simplest way to back up your game is to go to My Documents\EA Games, and copy your entire 'The Sims 2' folder and paste it to your desktop (or create a folder somewhere and name it 'Sims 2 Backups' or something like that, then paste the copy there).

Give the copied folder a unique name so it can be identified easily. For example, I name my copied games something like 'Sims 2 backup 311207' - the 311207 relates to the date (day/month/year).

There is another way of backing up your game that is more in-depth, and it only involves copying some folders from The Sims 2 folder. One of the moderators here posted how to do it - I'll see if I can find the post, if you would prefer to do it that way. However, I would always recommend copying the entire folder if you have enough disk space on your computer to store it.

3. babyace2006

babyace2006 New Member

Thank you

Ermm is it possible to put this on to a disk?
    Im a bit confused as in if it was on my desktop wouldnt it get lost too in the event of my computer being rebooted or something?

4. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Yes, you can backup the folder and the contents to a CD or a thumbdrive for future use :)

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Stuff placed on the desktop doesn't disappear if the puter reboots ... if it did I'd have lost everything a zillion times over. I like a nice messy desktop. :rolleyes:

6. babyace2006

babyace2006 New Member

Thanks

So I can the copied details onto a disk (CD or DVD)
    also how would I get it off to play..?would I put the disk in and then play it or whould i take the stuff off the disk like a USB and then what?

sorry about the questions i just cant lose my sims
    also if the whole computer is rebooted...whatever is on the desktop will not be deleted.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

To play the game you need to have the saved games folder called The Sims 2 in the proper path on the computer thus:

\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

If you are going to back up your sims you need to do that regularly (obviously)

You really need to look and see how much space your own folders take up to decide what is the best storage for them.

The best method is to use an external hard drive. Here's a couple of UK links for ya

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=12188&FromMenu=y&doy=5m2&MenuName=External Hard Drives
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...ry_name=/DSG/Data Storage/External Hard Drive

8. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

If you're worried about losing your saved game if your computer has to be reformatted, then yes, save a copy on a DVD. The folder you need is titled 'The Sims 2' (minus the punctuation of course). This is located at My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2.

If your computer is reformatted, you will need to install Sims 2 and the same EPs again (don't add any new EPs until after you've replaced the default folder with your other saved game folder). Then, to replace the default folder with your current game folder, simply delete The Sims 2 folder in EA Games and copy/paste from the backup DVD.

When you insert that backup DVD, click cancel on the box that comes up (asking if you want to play the files using xxx program or whatever). Then double click on My Computer and double click where the DVD icon is - it should open with a list of whatever folders you saved/burned onto it. Simply copy/paste The Sims 2 from there into My Documents\EA Games. If that saved game folder has a name that includes a date (I always date my folder names for backups) just remove the date from the folder name so it reads The Sims 2 before you try to play it. :)

If you prefer to get an external hard disk (like I did), maybe consider this site - it's where I bought mine. Actually, consider them for anything - you can trust this company and they really look after their customers. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=14&subid=801

9. babyace2006

babyace2006 New Member

Thank you
    Sorry for taking so long.
    thanks again :)

10. babyace2006

babyace2006 New Member

Hi

Thanks
    I have done that but i was wondering, because the new stuff pack is coming out i would like to back up my sims 2 folder.
    Now would i just simply do the same and redate it or will it be a whole new thing.
    Basically do i just copy and paste the folder onto the disk.
    or is there another thing to do.

Thanks