Trouble At Maxis

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Trouble At Maxis

There has been an articles circulating around The Sims 2 community regarding The Sims 2 and some incidents at Maxis. You can read the article here

The Sims 2 Resource writes: Bill Paterson wrote "Yesterday I was touring maxis and things were as normal. But while I was visiting The Sims 2 area and was looking at devs, things started to go out of hand. Suddenly there was a mad panic at some of the cubicles and people were running all over the place. Nobody knew what was going on and then a dozen network administrators were scrambling from one end of the office to the other yelling orders out, telling people what to do about this virus that, from what I could here, had just hit most of the programming systems. Just as the network admins had passed, the tour was cancelled and we where told to go, with out any reason. I tried to ask our Tour Guide what was going on and what the whole scene was about, but she refused to tell any of us anything. But just as I was going out of the building, I over heard some admins talking to each other, looking really worried, and I heard that nearly 80% of the programming for The Sims 2 had been wiped clean off the system and that The Sims 2 would have to be delayed up to nearly another year."

After reviewing the article myself, I would conclude a couple of things.

1.This article is fiction
    2. This article has very little truth basis.
    3. The posting of this article should never have been released.

A couple of interesting facts here. Most companies have a system called CVS. It is basically a huge database where they take snapshots of a certain timeframe (let's say every day) of a project. Usually these CVS are downloadable and are often sent to an offsite backup location.

Moreover, it would be very difficult to infect programming computers at maxis based on information from Maxis on past interviews. All of these systems do not have internet access. Nor would any virus be possibly allowed into the system. It would need some sort of method of transportation like a floppy, a USB Pen drive, a CD.

In any case, one would be super careful not to infect these systems knowing it is a multimillion dollar project. I would conclude there are several layers of safe guards, such as multiple logins to gain access to the systems with programming, active virus scanning of all incoming data and outgoing.

I am going to conclude that:

-What The Sims 2 Resource posted is completely inaccurate and has no factual basis
    -This story was probably a way for "Bill" to gain attention
    -Based on those above facts, I don't think too many people are happy right now at what was released, There was only one source (Mr. Paterson) and not enough information from a true credible source on this incident

I am hoping this article is proven false since setting back The SIms 2 would be ultimately deadly for Maxis. Furthermore, I know people will have some doubts on the credibility of The Sims 2 Resource. I for one, will have doubts as well.

Regardless, I feel that this article was a ploy to gain attention and give The Sims 2 Community a big scare.

2. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

wow :( that would be horrible if we had to wait for like another year for the Sims 2!! hopefully the article IS false...

3. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

hey i just went to The Sims 2 Resource website and saw this after the thing called "Trouble At Maxis" or something....
    another one was posted this is what it says:

"Phew Luc Barthelet has told TS2R that there was nothing wrong at maxis and Bill Paterson was just trying to scare everyone, so no need to worry everything @ maxis is fine.

Phew!"

phew indeed lol

4. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

Try to avoid double posts, use the edit tools to correct/delete messages that repeat the same info. Don't worry, I've done it, too.

5. ander5rulz

ander5rulz New Member

what is the sims 2 resource URL?

6. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

7. ander5rulz

ander5rulz New Member

8. ander5rulz

ander5rulz New Member

well, you know what they say...
    never let the truth get in the way of a good story :)
    By the way, is Bill Paterson a real journalist or just a member of that website?

9. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

lol i guess.... and i do not know the answer to that question...sorry :(

10. ander5rulz

ander5rulz New Member

Is thesimsresource.com going to contain items for thesims 2 or is it just going to remain stocking items for the sims? Is TS2R run by the same people?

11. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

i read (i think somewhere on their site) that TS2R doesn't have anything to do with the sims resource....what do you mean "stocking items for the sims"?

12. ManagerJosh

after hearing this...one is going to wonder what The Sims 2 Resource posts....cause I think they lost a lot of face today.

No wonder it is number 2...cause it can't get its facts straight and seperate truth from fiction.

Moreover, i feel this was a cheap publicity stunt by TS2R as a way for people to go to his site, read up what's going on.

13. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

Something like that happening is very unlikely. I'm sure that Maxis would have backed up all their files onto a different system just in case something of that magnetude did occur. That person could just be using this to boost their traffic.

14. ander5rulz

ander5rulz New Member

'stocking items for the sims'- I just meant containing downloads (skins, furniture etc.).

15. ManagerJosh

I just noticed...they deleted oth the article on Bill Paterson and the message from Maxis saying it was false.

They are trying to cover up!! :eek:

16. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

Gee, a cover-up!!

What's new in the world we live in today...from politicians to sports stars...everyone is trying to cover their tracks as to what nefarious things they have been up to...Why should we be surprised to find that on the Internet? After all, the Net is famous for frauds and lies and innuendos...just check your email on any given day and see all the garbage that one's well-meaning friends forward on without checking for truth or accuracy!!

I agree with Josh that without confirmation from a reputable source, it is probably bogus. Even the Bible says that we are not believe something unless 2 or 3 "reliable" eyewitnesses confirm the story!! (Sorry, can't give the reference right now as am too lazy to look it up but know that it is there!!)
    Unfortunately, too many people think that if it is written in a newspaper, etc. it MUST be true...however, that is not necessarily true and history has some interesting examples of how journalists who did not practise ethical reporting techniques led to world-wide troubles...

17. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

:cry: People lie. Thats what humans do. As long as there are humans :angry: there'll always be malicious happenings. Dont trust ANYTHING. :chinese: Unless it's written by a non-human :devious: source, like :hurt: Drcyption. Then it's just plain nonsensical trash mixed with smilies.

:rolleyes: :bunny:

18. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

muahahahahahaha:p :angry: :eek: :p :bunny:

19. amethyst_88

amethyst_88 New Member

[Post edited due to double posting. Please try to use the 'edit' button to correct anything you forgot to add instead of posting one message right after another. ~Solid.]

20. lilfaeriegirl078

lilfaeriegirl078 New Member

lol much like what u just wrote