Troubleshooting Two major problems and a begging for help

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by jstaik1043@earthlink, Feb 16, 2006.

1. When I built the computer, I got a 550 watt power supply - 100 watts over whet the system needs. And no other program or function give me any problems like this - only Sims2.

I have a spare graphics card - Raedon 9200SE - but I'm reluctant to install a graphics card in a motherboard with a card already installed. In the past, I've had difficulties with that setup.

2. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

A cheap PSU may not be supplying that amount of power, even though it says that on the case.

You HAVE a graphics card, yet you use an onboard one?
    Try installing the card (There should be an orange slot with AGP Express written above it.), install all the drivers and junk, disable the onboard graphics in BIOS and test the game. This will take strain off the CPU and the RAM.

Also, can I ask what are the other games you're playing?

3. Kungfu Joe

Kungfu Joe New Member

Yeah, I am being harsh, but i'm just bitter that I cant get Nightlife to work. I just find it odd that if you look around the forums, there are tons of people with problems that seem to be related to hardware, even when their computer should be well up to snuff. I mean, J here could probably run Battlefield 2 without much trouble on his system. Sims 2 just seems to requiere

4. Update ...

As a desperation measure, I reinstalled my Raedon 9500SE video card. After a couple of days of difficulty (NEVER casually tamper with your BIOS, people!), the game now works perfectly. It was hardware conflict after all.

It occured to me afterwards that I had acquired the 9500SE card in the first place in order to play Sims2.

Thanks for the help, folks. Now to get Nightlife and the new Business expansion ... not to mention re-downloading all my favorite stuff ...

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Thanks for letting us know, JS. Glad there was a happy ending ... pity we didn't know about the 9500 to begin with tho ... :rolleyes: