How Do I two part question i guess

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by jocie091, Dec 19, 2007.

1. jocie091

jocie091 New Member

two part question i guess

i used to play on a different computer, and everything worked fine. everything was clear, it moved smoothly.. well, we lost that computer and bought another. when i tried installing my games on this one, it was VERY slow and very choppy. the graphics were awful. someone told me it could be the graphics card, or it could be my memory. well.. this computer has basically no memory, so i bought memory sticks and im installing them soon. i was just wondering if its possible i might also need a graphics card?

and the second part (haha sorry:( before i can install it, i've lost two discs. disc one from the sims 2, and disc one from the sims 2 nightlife.

do i have to rebuy both games? or can i get a replacement disc for a much better price?

2. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Do a DXDIAG test on your computer and save the information to a text file to post on here. That will let us know your memory as well as your graphics card.

To do the test, go to the Start Menu, then Run. Type in DXDIAG.

If you bought a computer and it had very little memory to begin with, I doubt it has a good graphics card. The graphics could be awful due to 2 reasons:

1. You might have a good graphics card, it's just that the Low Memory causes the game to have all graphics options on to low thus it looks horrible.

2. Your graphics card is old, and even though adding more memory would speed things up, it'll still lag due to the demanding graphics the game uses.

3. jocie091

jocie091 New Member

its a pretty large file. should i copy and paste everything here or just certain parts?

4. Judhudson

Just your basic information of your computer specs:

CPU
    Memory
    Graphics Display Manufacture/Card
    Hard Drive Space

5. Judhudson

6. jocie091

jocie091 New Member

oh thank goodness, thank you so much! 13 is much better than 30.

and i hope im getting these right:

Memory: 192MB RAM
    Card name: SiS 760
    Manufacturer: SiS
    Chip type: SiS 760 Rev 00

7. Judhudson

You will definately need more ram, I would recommend bumping that baby up to at least 512 MB, perferrably 1 Gig.

But we still need to find out what your Graphics Card is. It's under the display tab.

SiS760 is your CPU. :)

8. jocie091

jocie091 New Member

under display theres device and drivers.. im not sure where the video card would be? im sorry! i'll list all of it

under device it says:
    name: sis 760
    manufacturer: sis
    chip type: sis 760 rev 00
    dac type: internal
    approx total of memory: 64.0 MB
    current display mode: 1024x768

under display:
    main driver: sisgrv.dll
    mini vdd: sisgrp.sys

and then it has directx features haha. im sorry if im making this difficult! oh man:(

9. Judhudson

hmmm...According to that, I am beginning to wonder if there is even a graphics card in your computer. It looks like it is running off of your motherboard... Hopefully someone else can confirm that, but I do believe you'll have to run out and get you a graphics card. But before you do, somebody else should double check this to see if I am right or not.

10. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

SiS is a known chipset and graphics manufacturer.

11. jocie091

jocie091 New Member

so basically i need to buy one? :( i was hoping i wouldnt have to, seeing as there so expensive. but i do miss playing the sims

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Jocie

Can you look in

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs\

There will be a file called:

XXXXXX-config-log.txt (where the XXXXXX is the name of your computer)

Please attach that file in your reply and I'll try to help your slow running problem.

13. jocie091

jocie091 New Member

im not seeing it anywhere :(

i had the sims installed, and it comes up now in the start menu, but if i try and click on it it tells me to put in the correct disc.

which is why i have to order a replacement disc number 1 for it! but i know that before that started happening, it just ran very slow and the graphics were really awful. kind of choppy and large pixels i guess.