Spore Underwater Civilizations?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by ProtoSpore, Mar 31, 2005.

1. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

Underwater Civilizations?

I love this forum! :laughing2:

If we pretend we had the game and zoomed out, it might become clear. I think this is the city being attacked.
    [​IMG]

Zooming out even further, it looks like the city is in the upper left hand corner - near water, but on land.
    [​IMG]

But I could be wrong.

HCantu99

2. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

Wer'e glad to hear that :D

This was actually Wtights' attack at the "aliens"

Heat

3. HCantu99

HCantu99 New Member

Was the image below the planet where Will Wright sent the spider creature? The one that went splat on the airless planet?

[​IMG]

I wonder just how modifiable a planet can be? I know you can somehow cause a volcano to form - I think. and you can apparently create some kind of an asteroid belt by blowing up a planet.

I wonder if there's any tie between volcanoe activity and atmosphere formation in the game?

Great start to what will no doubt be a great game! :D
    HCantu99

4. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

It'll probablt just be a super beam. pzzfft!

5. OverlordBill

OverlordBill New Member

I seem to remember there being a multitude of ways to create an atmosphere, one being volcanoes. The other being several domed cities being placed on the planet, and then some machine can be built or activated that instantly terraforms the planet. I can't remember the other way, but I do think there was one...

6. chocolatemax

chocolatemax New Member

In the video I saw of will he said there can be water civilisations. All the pics were above ground, just bad quality. I recomend everyone watch the video, its really good.

quoted from a gamespy article: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/spore/616537p2.html

7. chocolatemax

chocolatemax New Member

Re: Underwater Civilizations?

ha ha ha, if you did mean that photo then you were pretty far off, it is two of will's creature mating in a nest. the yellow semi-circles are sound waves, and in the background is a tree and a pool of water! lol

And in the picture at the top of the page the top arrows are pointing to ariels or things of the buildings, the middle one is the cursur and the bottome one isn't anything! lol

hope I helped

8. strillor

strillor New Member

I think Willy-boy said in an interwiew that there would be underwater creatures... So I guess no matter what they will be there... Then they must just discover something, on the same level as fire, but just underwater... ICE? :confused: :spin: I just don't know...

Because no matter what. Sea creatures should be aloud to evolve them self into scientic creatures, it's mean if it's just because fire can't be underwater... :(

9. sporestalker

sporestalker New Member

Sea creachers rule

you have a point it would take the fun out of free creation. You could maybe make a atlantis they may use a someing else like crystal for a tourch. Well im sure the devlopers at spore will find a way.

10. Ferret99

Ferret99 New Member

I hope this will clear things up

After watching the 30 miniute demonstration at one point when Will starts colonzing the moon if you saw the video he says the "bubble cities" can also be placed under water including places without any air :D, But that still does not answer the whole sea creature city underwater thing because you can only get the bubble city in the "space" phase so i am not sure :confused:. Only thing i am sure about is that you will be able to make cities with giant air bubbles underwater and on planets or moons without any air. :cool:

11. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

I recall hearing rumor at one point that underwater cities were abandoned by the design team. but that was rumor.

12. Ferret99

Ferret99 New Member

Well, that could be true but they already made the bubble cities just like in the demonstration so I don't see why they wouldn't simply make it so your able to put it underwater? :confused:

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Actually underwater civilizations could never get into space. Think of the huge amount of extra mass in carrying all that water aloft! :eek:

(And before you gainsay me, if they didn't need to live in an aquarium why would they be living underwater? If you breathe air live above the water. If you breathe water, then space travel is a non-starter ....) Oh I don't know though, I could think of a zillion reasons why that is wrong, but none of them are funny.

14. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Mass is all relative in space.

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

But only when you get there ... while your feet are still stuck to the ground that mass is a real drag, man. :cool:

16. Ferret99

Ferret99 New Member

Well... I dont see why you would bring all that water to space, but anyway.. I was referring to the colonies on the planets/moons that did not have a livable enviroment lets say such as air on the planet so they made those bubble colonies basiclly its a city inside of a giant bubble.. so as i was saying if they can make cities inside of bubbles for a livable enviroment with air then why couldn't they put that in the ocean?
    Example:
    Colony on moon "Theres no air here lets make a giant bubble"= Giant Dry Bubble with air and a city inside :)
    Example 2 (under water:(
    Hm theres all this water.. and we can't breath here! so lets make a City with air and no water to douse fires inside a bubble

17. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ah, yes. Of course I thought of that interpretation and hoped no-one would mention it. It makes perfect sense the way you describe it, Ferret. Lets throw all physics out the window ... after all Charles Darwin and all biology has been consigned to the trashcan. Maybe we can move on and dump mathematics as well.

In the Spore universe pi=3 and the square root of 2=1.5 and the square root of minus 1 is -(pi/pi squared). And just to boggle the pedants all prime numbers are oxymoronically divisible by the Magic Spore Number which is
    INT(INT(Will Wrights age/pi)/MOD(Will Wrights age/pi)).

One can discuss a game like Spore in many ways, but taking it too seriously at the stage where all development, bar final debugging, is complete is somewhat nerdy, don't you think?

I mean wouldn't underwater civilisations be dreadfully vulnerable to orbital attack? Whether the domes were pressurised or built to resist the hydrostatic pressure so that those inside could live at ambient sea-level pressure (a fanciful notion) a single 100 kilo bolt of spent uranium dropped from orbit at solar escape velocity would reach sea level with enough energy either to penetrate miles of ocean with enough mass and kinetic energy remaining to pierce the bubble with instantly fatal consequences, or with a different design just belly flop on the surface and rely on the resulting surface explosion to deliver the shock wave to the dome.

I think you'd better think it out again. Unless Spore is built to be unhackable, some genius will create the hack needed to deploy such weapons if underwater domes are a possibility.

Note: domes in a vacuum are far less vulnerable. With a maximum pressure gradient of only 1 atmosphere, a dome needs only little strength so that so-called explosive decompression is not immediately catastophic for the entire population. In a sufficiently large dome, it would even be possible to repair the hole before all the atmosphere escaped ... or at least the population would have time to get into pressure suits. On the other hand underwater domes would fill in seconds ... hardly time to bend over and kiss your arse goodbye.