Troubleshooting Uninstalling everything, how do I proceed?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lorelei92950, Sep 30, 2011.

1. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay, I have backed up everything that I can think of and now I should be ready to uninstall everything. The last time I had to do it my current game was all screwed up so it was not that scary because I had nowhere to go but up. This time my game is fine, but I have to uninstall everything to be able to get Double Deluxe installed. I'm terrified I will lose everything just the same, that somehow my backups will not insert or whatever.

Anyway, I can no longer remember--do I just go to Control Panel-->Programs and Features and click on the various Sims 2 exp packs and games to uninstall? Or do I go directly to the Game (and EP's) to find a program to do that? I never know what to use in Vista because things are named differently. I looked at the FAQ's and Mirelly's notes but all the links are useless.

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I would go to EA Games under Programs. There is a link there that says "uninstall" for each EP. Doing it that way makes it so that you're less likely to have remnants of the old game left over in the registry.

3. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay, thanks :)

4. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay, My EA Games is under Programs Files x86 not Programs alone. There are things under Programs of course but not EA Games. I don't know why. Anyway, I don't see all the stuff packs in there. I want to make sure I get it right, so here is a list of what is under I found at Program Files X86-->EA Games:

The Sims 2
    The Sims 2 Best of Business Collection (This would include H & M Fashion Stuff and Kitchen and Bath Stuff)
    The Sims 2 Bon Voyage
    The Sims 2 FreeTime
    The Sims 2 Mansion & Garden Stuff
    The Sims 2 Seasons
    The Sims 2 University Life Collection (includes Ikea Home Stuff and Teen Style Stuff)
    zCEP_Uninstaller

Now that I look at it; I guess it's all there it's just that two of mine are collections so the stuff packs came in with the EP. So do I click on that zCEP_Uninstaller?

5. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Kat meant 'Programs' in the start menu/orb.

Uninstalling from the shortcuts in the start menu or through programs in control panel should make no difference.

6. KatAnubis

Yep, I mean in the start menu, not on the harddrive.

7. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

I uninstalled everything. Even some patches that showed up for some reason that didn't uninstall. I have a list of which EP's to put in first, etc.. But...at what point do I reinsert my backup? After the base game and all EP's and patches have been installed? I was thinking after I installed the base game I would just launch it and see if the basic game came up all right. Should I do that? And should I do it after each EP is installed? (of course, my Sims will not be in there yet, but just to see if things are going okay?)

8. KatAnubis

Put everything back in once you have the whole lot installed and patched. You want to make sure it launches ok without anything in it.

9. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member