Troubleshooting video card?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by BEC933, Mar 2, 2005.

1. bambabe01

bambabe01 New Member

I Need Help!!

Ok, I know this is going to sound really stupid.. but I'm not too computer literate. I brought sims 2 and I got that stupid message that alot of you got, saying that the directx compatibilty adapter was not found or needs to be updated..neways, i did everything that you guys said to on this forum, and when i looked under my directx display, it says n/a under chip type. then at the bottom of the screen it says i have a generic video driver and 3D functionality is not avaliable. does this mean i dont have a video chip? i know, to most of you this sounds really stupid, and i know your laughing it up..lol. but im soo mad i spent so much on this stupid game and its giving me such a hard time. im ready to pull my hair out! now, if i dont have a video chip or card..whatever.. is there anyway around that so that i will be able to play the game? if anyone can help me please do!! i'll greatly appriciate it! thanks! :eek:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

You have a video card, otherwise you wouldn't be able to type and read what's on your screen.

But we aren't psychic...so how about posting some specs about your computer? :)

3. cetacean2

cetacean2 New Member

ialmrnt5 display driver

When I run Sims2 I get this display driver error. Having looked on the net for answers I see hundreds of people with the same issue. Some have suggested updating the Intel chipset which I did but it doesn't help. My computer is brand new and is specifically a gaming computer - very high end and definitely meets the specs for the game. Does anyone have any OTHER fixes for this issue? I would really love to play the game but am getting fed up with constant crashing.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

It's really hard to diagnosis any problem with a simple description. We really need data in order ot help anyone.

5. alwaysinuyasha

alwaysinuyasha New Member

whenever I try to play the sims 2 it says failed to find any directx 9.0c compatible graphics adapter in the system

operating system:microsoft windows home edition (5.1 build 2600)
    system manufacturer:hewlet packard
    system model: Pavillion zv5200
    BIOS: ver 1.00 parttbl
    processer amd athlon (tm) 64 processer 3200+ ,mmx,3dnow ,~790mhz
    memory :510 mb ram
    directx version:directx 9.0c (4.0.90000.0904)

Device
    manufacturer:n/a
    chip type: n/a
    Dac Type :n/a
    approx. total memory:n/a

Drivers
    main driver: vga.dll
    version: 5.01.2600.0000
    WHQL Logo'd : yes
    mini vdd :n/a
    ddi version: unknown

6. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If it has SE or LE in the name, it's not usually worth getting. It means that the card is a stripped down version of the card. And $20 less for that card is a ripoff, unfortunately. It has far less than $20 fewer abilities than the straight 9200. Most places have them for only $50 or less (because they aren't very good.)

The straight 9200 is probably your best bet.

Another option is to find a PCI FX 5200. (But not an LE version.) It's roughly equal in ability to the Radeon 9200. And in searching Newegg, they actually had the 256mb versions for about US$100 but the 128mb versions were around US$70.

Also, avoid any of the Powercolor brands. They are LE or SE without the warning. Sapphire and Diamond are good generics, however.

Most of the PCI cards are going to be in the neighborhood of US$100.

It really looks like they are phasing out the PCI cards entirely. Last summer there were tons of PCI Radeon 9200s and Geforce FX5200s, but now it seems like they are all the off brands (SE/LE in disguise) or SE/LE types.

Video card and graphics card are the same thing. The 2D/3D video is a type of graphics or video card with those abilities.

For TS2, I definitely wouldn't recommend anything less than the Radeon 9200 or the Geforce FX5200. And even then, you'll have times of frustration with it, since you won't be able to have the graphics settings as high as the game allows and will need to limit other things as well to prevent slowing/freezing.