Troubleshooting What are some of the best graphics cards out?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by KevinLT, Aug 15, 2005.

1. KevinLT

KevinLT New Member

What are some of the best graphics cards out?

I was just wondering what are like the top 10 video cards for this year? I mean what would be the best configuration for your computer to run the sims 2 at it's best?

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Currently the GF7800x series reigns.

3. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

Heh, yeah, I'd definetely go with the Geforce 7800 GTX or Geforce 7800 GT BFG OC (that way you have a life time warrenty and you can OC that thing above the GTX), a step down is either the Radeon X850XT Platnium and the Geforce 6800 Ultra. (If you want that level, I'd go with the Geforce 6800 GT and OC that to Ultra level.)

4. KevinLT

KevinLT New Member

Yeah because of a friend of mine has the ATI Radeon X600 SE, how well does that play the sims compared to the GeForce nVidia 6800 Ultra?

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Both are great cards, however in comparison, the 6800 can whipp the X600 anyday :p

6. KevinLT

KevinLT New Member

LOL, I can't wait to tell him HAHAHA! Thanks, Josh!

7. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

Yeah, the X600 (and its an SE, downgraded version) is in my opinion the equivelant to a Radeon 9600 Pro :D

8. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Okay, I'm hijacking this thread! (hahahaha)

How bad does this one suck?
    Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 224MB shared DDR memory

Hubby decided instead of buying us a new computer, he's buying one for the boy. :rolleyes: Are we not the coolest parents ever? So, Hubby is looking at a "kids" comptuer, something cheap but functional. He's looking at Gateways because he got sick and tired of dealing with Dell's financial dept. (We paid the computer off, and then get a bill for $48 for fees! We pay that one, and then get a $12 for interest on the fees!) So all the cheaper computers with Gateway are with these graphic cards. I keep telling him if it won't play TS2, it won't play anything else, and it's junk. Please help me win my argument. :D

BTW, sorry, I don't know why this has typed in bold, I can't get it to stop for some reason!!:(

9. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

The other one he's looking at sucks too:

ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Graphics with 128 MB DDR shared video memory

10. Randomzero

Randomzero New Member

Hehe, normally computers like that end up in my computer graveyard (pictures will eventually find their way here), or they blown up/set on fire, But then again, they make a nice paper weight or doorstop.

11. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

meh. they are better than my old integrated card so its at least got to run ts2 :D

12. garyalexza

garyalexza New Member

This and the Intel Integrated graphics controllers both use integrated graphics (also known as onboard graphics). You can tell this from the "Shared" or "Integrated" description. Ideally for decent games performance you would want a graphics card that is not integrated. Something like a Radeon 9200 or X300 or above (The Radeon X Series is the new chipset) would be entry-level for games, or anything in the Geforce 6000 series. The older Geforce 5000 series are good as well. In general theory the Higher the number, the Better it is :)

Post some specs and we'll rate it for Sims 2 performance, though remember that the Sims 2 is quite a high spec game.

Oh yes, and 1GB of system RAM wouldn't hurt either :)

13. Nephthys

Nephthys Backstabber

I have the following;

Dell Dimension Intel Celeron 2.4GHz Processor
    512MB RAM
    80GB Hard Drive
    [SIZE=-1]Intel Extreme Graphics Video Card [/SIZE](bleugh)

I desperately want a new Graphics card to prevent having to use the Intel one. It works really well for games like Age of Mythology and the like, but when it comes to the Sims 2, it manages but it could be so much better. In the computer I previously had, I used a NVidia GeForce4 graphics card, and that worked great for the Sims 2. However, when I tried to transfer that card to this computer it wouldn't work.
    Does anyone have any suggestions about what might work for this computer? Ideally I'd like something along the lines of a GeForce 6600, but I can't afford to buy something like that if it's not going to work!!
    Any help would be appreciated.

14. garyalexza

garyalexza New Member

Well in theory your old card should have worked. I'm not sure of your level of experience here so no offence is meant by the following...

Is there an actual slot that the video card will fit in? Please see here for a brief description of the AGP slot.

When you put your new card in did you attach the monitor cable to the VGA port on the new card? Most motherboards today will detect this and switch the video from the VGA that is near your keyboard and mouse ports to the vard you installed.

From your system specs I would guess that the PC you have would most likely have an AGP slot rather than PCI-Express if it does have a slot at all for upgrade of the VGA card. Best to identify this before you go shopping.

If it doesn't have a slot for either, then there's not much you can do here. Besides purchasing a new computer that is.

15. KevinLT

KevinLT New Member

Reply..

Yeah now a days I think that PCI-express would probably be a better way to go since that's where the technology is right now. However AGP slots are great too I am told! By looking at your specs you should've been able to play, maybe because there isn't a recent updated driver for that specific graphics card. I am playing the Sims 2 with the GeForce 6800 Ultra.. I have a picture attached where you can see a girl with the green school outfit on. And then I have another picture attached when I was playing the game with the GeForce MX 4000 with a lady standing near her counter. You can really tell the difference between the two cards because the clarity and how much more detailed the individual sims look! I hope you can find a graphics card that runs your game though! :D

Attached Files:

16. Nephthys

Nephthys Backstabber

The Sims 2 works now, it just gets a bit slow now and then.
    My computer has a PCI slot, as did the old card that I put in (which didn't work). I assumed there was a conflict issue which caused it not to work, but I'm not entirely sure.

And as for those pictures...Meh! Not fair!!

17. KevinLT

KevinLT New Member

Oh that's great! I am glad you got it to work! You know what I also discovered the better your graphics card is the more you see in the game. Like when I had the MX 4000 I couldn't see the little special event movies they do.. like when getting married, or having a baby.. or even sending your kid to college. But now I see them and I think it's soo cool! So yeah if anyone is looking for a good graphics card and wants to see everything.. you could try looking on eBay the prices are usually cheaper than what the retail store is offering! Good luck to anyone who is looking for a graphics card.. and like someone said before the higher the number the better usually! :D