How Do I What happens when I install a third expansion pack?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lorelei92950, Apr 29, 2010.

1. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

What happens when I install a third expansion pack?

I first got Sims 2 Holiday Edition from my niece to try out. I really liked it and added Sims 2 Seasons. I was totally scared I'd lose all my created Sims (my Pleasantville has only my own Sims plus the usual NPC's. They are on third generation now. I've used boolProp to put the seniors still alive back to adults, so they are starting to have more children. All the regulars in Sims 2 Pleasantview except Don Lothario are in my bin for now. Anyway, it went just fine. I really like the Seasons (although I keep it in spring, I must admit) and have kept all the regular Sims, plus added more of my own creations. I have not tried to go into my regular Sims 2 since I installed the Seasons. Now I bought Sims 2 Best of Business collection. My question is twofold, 1. What happens to the houses and people (and their furniture and gardens) I created in Seasons if I install B of B? 2. If I do lose the gardens and Rock Blossom neighborhood can I go back and forth between Seasons and Best of Business or must I stay with the latest installation at all times? Sorry this is so long, but I don't know how to ask a short question in real life either :cry:

2. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

Whenever you install a new expansion pack, none of your things, neighborhoods, or people will be gone or altered. Only when you remove an expansion will you have the chance of those things that came from that specific expansion pack to disappear since it is now removed from the game.
    When you have more than just the base game, you will be able to play all of the expansion packs at the same time. As in if you have the base game, seasons and open for bussiness, you will be able to have weather and a home business. Every expansion pack that you have is added to the original game.
    They only require you to have the latest expansion pack DVD that you own when you play as to not have any malfunctions or issues with the game as well as for security reasons.

I hope I wasn't too confusing...lol.

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Before you install any expansion packs always back up your game files so that if something happens like your computer starts crashing from the added content if you have to revert back to your old game you can always swap the old files back in and have your original game back .
    Once you add expansion packs it rewrites the game files and you can not use them again if you uninstall a expansion pack.

4. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Thanks! I back up my files from Sims 2 Holiday edition (the first one I got) to a device. Now if I back up Seasons to that how, how do I make sure the don't go in the same place? (I'm really new at this). I love gardening and fishing, but I can take or leave the Seasons now because in the summer if they go outside I hav to have them run in so often and drink water because they overheat. Then when I had one make a snowman in winter he keeled over from frostbite so fast I thought I'd lost him. Couldn't get him to the hot cocoa. Finally his wife threw hot water on him and we got him to a bathtub. I usually leave it in spring now, but have a hard time getting skilled at gardening and fishing due to frequent storms which set my trees on fire 2-3 times a day. Ah, well, you have to laugh.

5. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Simply rename the saved files from Season's to something like Season's game saves but just remember to keep them separate from your Holiday saves.
    You really don't every file that's in those files basically your neighborhood files and downloads as they'd be affected by the game rewriting the files when you install a new expansion pack.
    you might go over the Sims 2 wiki pages as there is a wealth of information pertaining to the game.