What phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

Well a 3 years lifespan is not bad...I'm thinking of switching to an iphone 3G S with AT&T in around 6 months or so. That is, if life doesn't get in the way. :biggrin:

Do you have a budget cost for the phone and maybe a plan also? That could narrow your search down.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I have a RAZR from Cingular that still works. It's locked though...ironically, it's also a year older than my T-Mobile RAZR.

3. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Then unlock it Josh and save the money. ;)

4. ManagerJosh

Tried to get it unlocked. But trying to get the unlock codes from Cingular is like pulling teeth. You keep submitting applications to get it unlocked and they keep ignoring you.

5. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Is there no way outside of Cingular's help to unlock it?

6. ManagerJosh

no "safe" way per-se

7. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

Well...you could always get a new RAZR. They are a little cheaper than the last time you got them. :biggrin:

8. ManagerJosh

Heh! You read my mind Nyx! :D I was shopping around ebay for one. The prices, however, scare me.

9. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Then unlock it using the 'unsafe' methods. Not your fault if your old network won't unlock it, assuming it's after the amount of locked years.

10. swmeek

What is it they do to lock it?
    You can't simply take out your sim card from the busted phone and put it in the old one?

11. ManagerJosh

Most phones sold by major companies like AT&T, and T-Mobile have a network lock. It binds the phone to a particular network, therefore requiring that the SIM card you insert is network specific.

So in my case, I have an old Cingular/AT&T phone. It's tied to Cingular/AT&T. I can't pop in my T-Mobile SIM chip without getting the phone unlocked first. Vice-versa applies as well.

There are unlocked phones as well, and they are the same phones except the previous owners managed to get the authorization code to unlock the phone, therefore freeing it of the network lock.

12. Victor18

Victor18 New Member

Well i should say that the Nokia 6210 Navigator is a great phone!

13. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

Well, the Motorola RAZR's on ebay are around half the price for the V3 version. It's probably cheaper if you get your old version of the RAZR. Just make sure to do research.

14. ManagerJosh

All the old used razrs on ebay ending up close about 80-90.00 :-\

15. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

wow, that's odd. I must have been seeing things...

16. ManagerJosh

Nah, you're not seeing things. The starting prices are so low, but at the end of the auction, the price has doubled, or tripled, if not more.

17. swmeek

Probably because they've got someone jacking up the bid while someone bids on them!

18. ManagerJosh

That's a strong possibility!

19. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

Then maybe get the buy it now ones?

20. swmeek

Sometimes the buy it nows are pretty outrageous prices!
    But I do tend to look at those first.