What TV shows do you like?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FaeLuna, Sep 21, 2002.

1. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Yes, really. I should have been a dancer really. It would have been a bit more interesting than what I did become. I am just a bit too old these days.

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Doris Day was great! :D I love watching the movies from that era. :) Sometimes I wish the clothes would come out again like that... so elegant....

I've been watching a lot more BBCAmerica lately... got to see an episode of Coupling and most of an episode of Manchild and I liked them both. I've been watching a lot of What Not to Wear both the original and the American versions of the show, and Queer Eye for the Straight Guy too.... it's fun to watch people's reactions to feeling all dressed up and good about themselves.

And I think I'm under the influence of all these design and clothes shows... we finally went shopping for clothes for the first time this year. :p

3. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

My present favourite tv show is My Hero with Ardal O'Hanlon. He played in Father Ted, which was also excellent. It is about a Venusian living in Northolt, London. He goes off to save the world occasionally but he has no social skills on this earth. Even his little baby is Venusian, although he looks as though he comes from earth.

4. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

What will the Brits think of next? a Civil War re-enactiment w/ Marshmellows?

5. kellie

kellie New Member

Sorry, you guys asked what Curb your Enthusiasm was and I forget to tell you. I'm a bit late lol but oh well. It's this show about the guy who created Seinfeld, Larry David. He's so hilarious, and it's about his real life. The character George on Seinfeld was based on the real larry david, he's this eccentric old guy who is famous since he wrote seinfeld, and he gets himself into all kinds of scrapes and it's hilarious. It comes on really late, here it's on like showcase or something.

6. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

It is british humour, I admit. The Americans are great at thinking up what a person can or might be made of. If you watch Sci Fi on the satellite channel you will see what I mean. Most programmes have someone who has something very odd about them - acute hearing (and all the other senses); just dumped in the ocean but not of this world; a sooth sayer; and so on and so on. The brits don't have things like that - they just are like that?
    Have a look at the person next to you. What is wrong with him/her? Nothing? I don't believe you. "Everyone is daft but thee and me, and I have my doubts about thee." says the Yorkshireman.

7. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

By the way, I think that enthusiasm ought to be encouraged and not discouraged. I was always an enthusiast, and I still am. I was a workaholic and I still am
    Enthusiasts often get it wrong, but sometimes get it right. Barnes Wallis said that if you are going to invent something radical and new it is better not to know too much about it.

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'll have to look for that and see if we get that show!! I *LOVE* Father Ted but I haven't seen a whole lot of episodes since I never remember when it's on and only find it by accident. :p

9. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

First look tonight at Joan of Arcadia. Concept could be intriging. Will reserve judgement... what station carries My Hero?

10. OinkUsed2BABunny

It seems i'm just 5 hours too late eh? What more can i add, Michelle? Well i could remind everyone that the show is on CBS at 8 on Fridays. That's about it.

11. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

The station is BBC1, which is available here on a Thursday night at 8.30 p.m. I don't know where else it is available.
    I have just been watching "Waking the Dead". That is a very good series about a cold case squad of the police. Mind you, I can just remember Dixon of Dock Green.

12. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

Wow...lots of shows to check out...some that I've never heard of! Over the summer we cut our satellite stations down to the bare minimum so we won't be tempted to sit inside all the time when the weather was nice but now that winter is coming...sitting in front of a warm fire and watching a good show on the telly sounds quite fun! :) Is "Waking the Dead" like "Forensic Files" and about the real behind-the-scenes stuff or is it a show like the Hollywood fictionalized "CSI"? I prefer the real stuff like "City Confidential", etc. to actors pretending to be criminologists. But I also admit I like the mindless amusement of some of the comedies out there, like 70's show, Friends and King of Queens, etc. too. They make a nice break from the history shows and learning channel shows I usually watch....

13. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

I just realized that my taste in TV is very like my taste in books and music....I like an incredibly wide variety in all!!! But, I admit that even in a 200+ channel universe one can find oneself flipping endlessly through the channels looking for one really interesting show to watch!!! :p

14. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

It is very 'English'. It has a Detective Superintendent, a couple of plain clothes policepeople, a Doctor, a Forensic Doctor, a Psychologist, A Computer expert, etc. No-one superhero! They seem to keep back a very important part of the story until just before the end. I suppose that is the way it would work in real life.

15. OinkUsed2BABunny

There is a show coming on CBS that's called "Cold Case" too. Dont know much about it. Will post here and compare when show comes out.