What's New Now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Sorry I don't even know what Halloween is about. :eek:
    Some people celebrate it here but its not a big thing as in America. I think here even the ones that celebrate don't know what they are celebrating, but the costumes are great. Was it created by the Lolie company's, sorry candy company's. :confused: I know Red Santa was created by Coca Cola. Thats why he is red.
    Here the only people that knock on my door is phone company's trying to make a new deal with me, kinda lonely I guess.
    I think I know about Guy Fawkes and Thanks Giving. But not Halloween.:eek:
    Can someone please explain. :confused:

2. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! It's my favorite holiday. It's based on the pagan holidays like Samhain and Walpurgnisnacht, Odin. People dress up in costumes, carve jack-o-lanterns, have wild parties and go from door to door asking for candy. I'm sure trick or treating has its roots in some older tradition. Anyway, it was banned (predictably) by the Puritans but we've been living it up ever since.

Black cats, witches, vampires, ghosts, you can see why it appeals to me. :p I go as a witch every year and have a party where I serve vegetarian chili and cheap wine, invite friends who don't live in as nice of 'hoods as I do and we take all the kiddies trick or treating while some of the adults stay home and hand out candy. We always run out. I live on a very popular street.

I have my own traditions, which involve a pumpkin alter and making a wish in a goblet a self-proclaimed practicing witch left at our house one time by mistake. The wishes usually come true.

Which reminds me, Sacha and Shana, what are you doing this Halloween? Want to stop by?

I love Halloween. It's the only fun holiday with no family obligations attached. I invite my siblings because I like them, not because I have to. :rolleyes:

3. surprised_by_witches

Almost forgot to mention: It's also about being scared out of your pants. Haunted houses are very popular.

4. Odinmoon

Thanks SBW for making this clear to me. Its funny about witches. My mother told me my grandmother was a white Witch from Siberia, they mostly heal people. :)

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The American Halloween has always seemed like more fun than the UK version, which is a sad commercial imitation of the real thing. The supermarkets and card shops began pushing Halloween back in the early 1980's (cheap costumes and mask) ... gradually the event has grown year on year but the trick or treating thing is still quite rare and more often than not the callers are cynical 12-14 year olds with nothing better to do and hoping for more than just candy.

31 October is All Hallows Eve, an important date in the pagan calendar. It was, unsurprisingly, effectively supressed by the English and Scottish puritan movements in Britain by shifting the general celebration and fun from Oct 31 to Nov 5 when effigies of Guy Fawkes are burned and fireworks let off and baked potatoes served to one and all.

6. Odinmoon

Yummy I could do with the baked spuds. oh and of course a little sour cream please :pray:

7. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Halloween's a sad imitation in Sweden as well. We've got the cheap, plastic masks here as well. Always the same stupid scream masks...

My class is throwing a halloween party for kids at our school. :sigh: I really can't be bothered, but I'm going to be forced to take an active hand in it anyway because I got stuffed in the decorations group along with all the determined people. Ah well, I guess it could be quite fun. The party, I mean. I think I'm going to dress up as a witch. :rolleyes:

BTW, Mirelly, if you didn't like the Ring, don't see any of the Grudge films. They are just horrible and scary. Twice as bad as the Ring. *shudders* I don't like Samara looking scary psyco girls. :(

8. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

please explain what a Samara look is... (scary psyco girls I think I figured out.)

and no I haven't seen any horror/slasher flicks for a long, long time.

9. muffin-tacos

I was asked not to post any scary pics up here by a member and I respect that. So I deleted the link that I posted of the scary little girl from the Ring.

You can search for her yourself though, if you want Michelle, just google "Samara" or something. :)

Her look though, is pale skin, white hospital dress and black long hair over her face. Oh and she burns anyone she touches. Talk about anger management problems.. :p

10. muffin-tacos

Oo, this is what the actress who played the scary little really looks like. Wow, she looks normal. :p

If anyone is interested, See here.

11. Odinmoon

Naa she still looks scary to me.:eek: Just joking.:D

12. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

I might just have to take you up on that! I could wear my fabulous Renaissance Witch's Hat and see what Witch Baby's costume looks like! I bet she'll be adorable!

My favorite costume was two years ago, when my then 10-year-old nephew showed up at my door dressed as a Vampire Cow - complete with bloody Cow Fangs! It was a costume he thought up himself! What can I say? It's good to see that my Far Side books went to a good home!

Here's a pic, along with his little brother (Underdog) and sister (Pumpkin - a costume that's been handed down through the siblings but is still adorable - at least I think so!)

Attached Files:

13. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

No plans of right now; but if that goblet of your really does work I might be convinced to stop by if I can make a wish into it!

We generally hand out candy to the kids in the apartment building, but last year we only had 5 stop by...it wasn't worth it to buy all that candy for only 5 kids; we ate most of it ourselves! (which was good, but bad for the waistlines!)

14. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Is it almost Halloween already? Oh, maaan! What have I been doing?

Well, I'm off work tomorrow but I've got errands to run. And then I leave town Tuesday morning and won't be back until Friday (work related, not vacation.) *sob* I'm gonna miss my sims. I've actually been playing with them, not just writing about them.

Went to a sailboat show in Annapolis, Md, today. We have NO intention of buying anything, but sailboats are beautiful to look at. There were catamarans, too. Two hulls. One of them was so large you could fit a grand piano on it. Sheesh. I can't imagine having that much money to spend for a boat. :shocked:

Haven't been visiting too much here, mainly because I'm usually falling asleep after dinner. I'm getting way more physical activity with this new job than I did with the old job.

15. muffin-tacos

A vampire cow! :rotfl: That's great. A truely great costume. I love the pic.

16. surprised_by_witches

Me, too! There were vampire cows in that kid's movie, the Little Vampire. Maybe that's where he got the idea? In any case, what a brilliant idea for a costume. And that 'lil punkin is sure cute. That has to be the famous niece you've told me so many stories about.

The kids in my neighborhood really get into Halloween. Yes, we get the cynical older kids who you give candy to so they won't egg your house, but the little ones are what make it worthwhile. So much imagination!

17. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

Schools been rough. My math teacher has something against me. I dont know why, she keeps getting my neighbor and me in trouble. If you noticed or not, i havent been on in awhile.I started playing Maplestory, so i didnt check here for awhile, but during English today, I decided that I would rather be playing Sims than Maplestory, so I will be visiting here more often. Hope all is well.

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Good to see you back with us, Jazz. Sorry to hear your math teacher is an arse.

Roars with laughter. Good to know that lesson was so rivetting that you barely had time to think about the important things in life. :D

19. surprised_by_witches

So, we can expect a slimmer and trimmer you? ;)

I hope you're enjoying your new job! Look forward to hearing from you on Friday.

And Jazz, welcome back. Like Mirelly I'm so glad to hear your education is sinking in. :p

20. Odinmoon

Hi jazz welcome back. How did pirate quest go. You gave me your user name but I could not send a message to you without id number. I f you are still playing or need help on it pm me. It is a complicated game, so its hard for beginners without some help. I have joined the fleet Pirates of Pinzance lol. Arrrr. Hope school gets better for you and never think that everyones against you or they will be . lol :D