Spore Will Wright at NASA

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by SpaceOddity, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SpaceOddity

SpaceOddity New Member

Will Wright at NASA

Back in January Will Wight talked about Spore at NASA, at a workshop about virtual worlds. Today a video of that demo showed up on the Internet. You can find it here.

[​IMG]

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

This was a great video and the ability to customize your ships like that was really cool.
    Makes me wonder if and how we'll be able to make our own CC for the game.

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Or the better question...what is custom content in Spore? Since everything is procedurally created, what else could be added that can't be done with with the current editors? The editors themselves are like legos. The imagination is the only limitation.

4. swmeek

Basically I mean like custom textures other than what's been introduced in the base game.
    I know it seems like the editors keep growing as you play more and more but I'm sure there will be those who play who don't like something enough to want to make their own textures.

5. ManagerJosh

Actually I was thinking what would be the definition of custom content for Spore. It isn't like The Sims where custom content could be physically described as objects or skins because those items were prefabricated with basically no preexisting editor to customize or create brand new items.

Spore differs seeing how we should be able to create new ships, buildings, creatures and so forth.

6. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

The custom content kind of bugs me. If we do get the built-in editors like you described, Josh, I wonder how this will impact downloadable custom content...

Is each item that you create (i.e. character, building, ship) become their own file. Are these files going to be shared specifically thru their exchange, or are we able to package them up ourself...

I haven't read a lot into Spore, so this could of already been asked.

7. swmeek

This also makes me wonder if and when I create something if it will save it somewhere for later as I don't play any of my games with a live internet connection.
    I turn off my anti-virus, spyware detector, firewall and internet connection to free up resources and also to prevent any hackers from finding me while I'm engrossed in a game.

8. ManagerJosh

Excellent question swmeek. That's something I haven't considered.