SimCity 4 Will Wright Confirms Next Generation SimCity

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by ManagerJosh, May 25, 2004.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Will Wright Confirms Next Generation SimCity

Will Wright, one of the founders of the famed Maxis Studio and the man driving the "Sim" series has confirmed that a new SimCity Title is indeed in the works, according to the Seattle Post-Intelligence.

"We're about to come out with a new direction for it," Wright stated. This isn't the first time we've heard of the next generation SimCity. This confirmation adds more speculation originally started by ex-Maxis general manager Luc Barthelet's suggestion that work on the new title began in January 2004, in an interview with French television. Ironically, at the time Maxis PR attempted to quiet it up by claming "any speculation as to SimCity 4 is premature." according to Eurogamer.

"SimCity kind of worked itself into a corner," he said during E3. "It had gotten a little complicated for people who had never played SimCity. We want to take it back to its roots where somebody who had never heard of SimCity can pick it up and enjoy playing it without thinking it was really, really hard," he added to reporters at E3.

Discuss Here!

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Haha maybe I'll be better at playing it if they're trying to make it so someone who doesn't know how to play the first games can pick it up and play it! :p I STILL haven't had a successful city..... sigh.... :rolleyes:

3. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

Hey, I'll be looking forward to it. ;) After starting to play SC4 again I've gotten hooked to it - I'm doing the best I've ever done so far (making around $3,000 - 5,000 monthly, with 170,000 population.) :D

Have they released any details on what new things they're planning on adding, or is that all they've said?

4. sam_lawrence

sam_lawrence SimCity Moderator

Nope, that's all they've released i'm afraid but i think it's hardly breaking news. People from the Maxis team have said more than once, in chat events and stuff, that as soon as a version gets released they basically start work on the sequal straight away, simultaneously with the expansion-packs. I don't imagine they'd have a playable simulation for SC5 for a while so don't get too excited :p My predictions are: expect a few more expansions to be released between now and then. It's almost been 6 months since Rush Hour, and going by The Sims (Sims expansion packs came out roughly every 6 months), the next SC4 expansion shouldn't be far away.