Troubleshooting Windows XP tweaking Guide

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by themasterchief, Oct 2, 2004.

1. themasterchief

themasterchief New Member

Windows XP tweaking Guide

i copied this post from a ROME:TotalWar forum, the author's name is evilbox and can email him at jimmypattersonuk@hotmail.com for questions

1. Disabling useless processers & Windows features.
    Windows XP has came with quite a few new but extremly useless and memory hogging features that constantly run in the background and slow your system down.

Some of the features that should be disabled are automatic updates, system restore and remote assistance.

To disable these 3 fairly useless services...

1. Hit Start
    2. Select Control Panel
    3. Select Performance and Maintenance
    4. Select System
    5. Select System Restore Tab
    6. Check "Turn off System Restore"
    7. Select Automatic Updates tab
    8. Select "Turn off autoamtic updates"
    9. Hit the Remote tab
    10. Uncheck "Remote Assistance" & "Remote Desktop"

Now that the three main WIndows features that severly hog your PC's power are disabled, its time to move onto the numerous other Windows processers that further drag down your system.

1. Hit start
    2. Select Control Panel
    3. Select Adminastrative Tools
    4. Select Services

Now there should be a large list of services and alot of them are running on your system right now.

Alot are vital for running Windows and alot are completely useless.

The average PC user will have about 27 of these processers running all the time, more than half of them she/he does not need.

Now for a standard PC with maybe a printer & a broadband connection and no fancey networking, routing or any advanced pheriples and wireless devices, the following services should be set as disabled.

To disable a service, double-click it and set the Startup Type drop-down menue as "Disabled" then click "apply" and "ok" and move onto the next.

Automatic Updates
    ClipBook
    COM+ Event System
    Creative Service for CDROM Access (If you have a Creative soundcard)
    Cryptographic Services
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Distributed Transaction Coordinator
    DNS Client (Do NOT disable if your on a Dial-up internet connection)
    Error Reporting Service
    HID Input Service
    Indexing Service
    IPSEC Services
    Messenger
    MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
    NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
    Network DDE
    Network DDE DSDM
    NVIDIA Display Driver Service (For nVIDIA card users)
    Performance Logs and Alerts
    Portable Media Serial Number
    Print Spooler (Only if you dont have a printer)
    QoS RSVP
    Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
    Remote Registry
    Routing and Remote Access (If you dont have others PC connected to a router)
    Security Accounts Manager
    Server
    Shell Hardware Detection
    Smart Card
    Smart Card Helper
    System Event Notification
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Telnet
    Terminal Services
    Themes (If you are not bothered about fancey looks for your desktop)
    Upload Manager
    WebClient
    Wireless Zero Configuration
    WMDM PMSP Service
    WMI Performance Adapter
    Workstation

Note that everyones system is differant so dont be wondering why some services in the list above are not on your list.

Now that you have disabled those Windows services, its time to clean up your startup programs and system tray...

1. Hit Start
    2. Hit Run
    3. Type "msconfig" without the quotes and hit enter
    4. Hit Startup tab
    5. Click on "Disable All"
    6. Press Apply then Ok and answer YES to reboot your PC.

Now you dont have all that junk starting up when Windows starts and I can guarentee you that you'll notice a phonomenol power boost that will be equally as noticable in games.

2. Optimising your Windows Page file.
    Windwows uses whats called a pagefile to act as RAM for file swapping duties and the-like & is vital for games.

The pagefile itself is harddrive space taken off your harddrive and kept in the pagefile itself so for example if my harddrive is 20GB and I set my pagefile to 1GB then my HDD would suddenly become 19GB in size.

To edit Windows pagefile...

1. Click Start
    2. Click Control panel
    3. Click System
    4. Click Advanced tab
    5. Click "Settings" for the "Performance" section
    6. Click Advanced tab
    7. At the bottom, click "Change"
    8. Check the "Custom Size" box
    9. Set your pagefile usng the following uide...

If you have...

128MB of RAM - set to 1500MB
    256MB of RAM - set to 1000MB
    512MB of RAM - set to 700MB
    1GB of RAM - set to 500MB

3. Cleaning up your system.
    Now its time to give your system a spring-clean and free from unused invalid crap that litters many PC users systems and over time can lead to configuration problems and nasty software conflicts and slightly slow application response rates.

You'll need to downlaod the following free programs and install them...

Ad-Aware
    Spybot S&D
    Reg Seeker
    Crap Cleaner
    Cacheman (A must-have utility for people with 512MB RAM or less)
    Hijack This

Now then, to get the most out of these program, you must configure them correctly...

Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D are pretty well configured to begin with so i'll go straight to Crap Cleaner...

1. Open Crap Cleaner
    2. Click Windows tab
    3. Tick all boxes except "Menue Order Cache & Windows Size/Location Cache
    4. Click Applications tab
    5. Tick everything
    6. Click Issues tab
    7. Click everything
    8. Click Options button
    9. Click Settings tab
    10. Uncheck the box that reads "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 10 days"
    11. Click ok and exit the program.

Now open Cacheman...

1. Click on the Settings button
    2. Click the "RAM" icon
    3. Under "Memory Ammount", set it to "User defined" then move the slider as far to the right as it goes
    4. Uncheck all four boxes but leave "Extreme recovery mode" checked
    5. Click the "Optimization" tab at the top
    6. Check both "Disable executive paging" & "Unload DLL's from memory"
    7. Exit the program and answer "yes" to save settings and answer yes to the reboot prompt.

Ok now that you've tweaked your programs to work at there best, its now time to use them...

NOTE: No other programs should be running while you run the programs so bookmark this page and exit IRC or whatever other programs you have running and come back here when your done.

Open and run the following programs in the following order...

Ad-Aware
    Spybot S&D
    Crap Cleaner
    Reg Seeker
    Hijack This

Ok now your back, your PC should be alot more clutter free but these programs never do a complete job of it so its now time to manually clean your Windows up...

1. Look on your desktop and delete any icons & shortcuts that you no longer need or use or have its software uninstalled
    2. Go into your start menue and do the same thing
    3. Go into Control panel
    4. Go into Add or Remove programs
    5. Uninstall any programs that you no longer use or want from the list
    6. Go into your Program Files folder typically located at C:\Program Files
    7. Delete all files and folders that relate to programs or games you uninstalled or do not want any longer.

4. Configuring your systems BIOS for maximum gaming power.
    Accesing your systems BIOS varies from PC to PC but typically its a good 10 second hammering of the Del or F1 key while Windows is booting up.

BIOS vary from motherboard to motherboard but modern gaming boards will have alot more options in them than basic motherboards like Dell PC's have which is why i'm not going to be specific, rather just point out the general things to change that I think most PC's will have.

AGP Aperture size should be set to the highest possible.
    AGP mode should be set to 8.0 or how high it can go
    AGP Fastwrite should be enabled
    USB 2.0 controller mode should be set to "Fullspeed" if you have USB 2 ports on your PC
    Any performance enhancing options that many, many gaming boards have should be set to there maximum for example my Asus K8V SE board has an option where I can set the overall speed of my PC to "slow", "normal", "fast" or "turbo". Obviously the Turbo option is going to produce more thermal output on my CPU, RAM & motherboard but its not really enough to worry about especially if you have fans in your case.

5.Updating your system drivers.
    Updating your systems drivers is vital for squeezing as much performance out of it as possible, especially sound card and graphics card drivers.

Here is a list of driver links for the differant components from all the major manufactuers...

Graphics card
    -----------------
    nVIDIA
    ATI

Sound cards
    ---------------
    Creative Soundblaster

Windows Updates
    --------------------
    1. Hit Start
    2. Click on Windows Update icon

Now it will take you to the Microsoft website and will scan your system and come up with a list of reccoemnded updates.

Alot of these updates are rubbish and unncessary. I cannot be specific about what not to downlaod and what to download since everyones PC is differan but updates such as language packs and stuff like that.

Critical update patches for Windows Media player and stuff like that should be downloaded and so should Microsoft .NET framework since alot of software nowadays relies on this code.

Remember that uninstalling previous drivers before installing new ones is highly reccomended since it ensures a bug-free crashless install.

Heres how to PROPERLY uninstall drivers...

1. Go into add/remove programs
    2. Uninstall the driver you want from the list
    3. GO into your Program Files folder and delte all folders and files associated with the driver you have just uninstalled
    4. Delete any start menue entries associated with the deleted driver
    5. Run Reg Seeker
    6. Run Crap Cleaner
    7. Reboot your system and then install the latest driver

I would of made links to motherboard drivers but I find updating mobo drivers to be quite a risky and an often unsucsesfull procedure and to cover it in this guide would take up far too much time.

If you would like to update your BIOS, there are many guides out there, one I reccomend would be BIOS Guide from the trusty tweaktown.com website which I highly reccomend also.

6. Tweaking your nVIDIA card.
    I'm sorry ATI owners but I have only had experiance with nVIDIA cards so my intructions wont be perfect to follow but should be ok as the two cards GUI is pretty similer.

To access your nVIDIA cards options...

1. Right-click on your desktop & select Properties
    2. Click Settings tab
    3. Click advanced button
    4. Click on the tab that reads your graphics card name, i.e GeForce FX 5600 for me.
    5. On the pop-up menue on the left, click on Performance & Quality"
    6. Set Antialiasing to off
    7. Set Anisotriopic filtering to off
    8. Set Image quality to high and if your card is good then set to maximum
    9. Set v-sync to off
    10. Set Force Minimaps to "none"
    11. Set Conformant texture clamp to off
    12. Go into the Direct 3D section
    13. Set Max frames to render ahead to 0

Your card is now set to give the best balance of image quality and performance.

7. Tips.
    Here are some tips to maintain your PC at its full potential forever...

1. Run them programs often, especially when you've been making alot of changes or have been installing/uninstalling alot of sfotware on your PC.

2. Run Cacheman before you play games and recover as much RAM as possible so you can get smoother gameplay.

3. Setting games to "High CPU Priority" in Windows Task Manager can sometimes give noticable performance gains.

4. Try to keep your files and folders organized so that your PC is as clutter free as possible.

5. Exit all programs and applications such as MSN messanger or IRC before you play games to maiximise gaming performance.

2. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Just about all the stuff above is true EXCEPT for just a few things:

1. Services - Some of the services he recommends disabling should NOT be disabled. Disabling Workstation, for one, completely kills networking on my computer. Big nono. If you are uncertain about whether or not to disable a service (believe me you will be) a good way to get details on it is to go to "www.theeldergeek.com/service_name.htm" where the service name is the name of the service, with underscores replacing spaces.

2. BIOS settings - AGP aperture size should NOT be set to maximum. Depending on your video memory, it's best set to either 64mb or 128mb, where more VRAM = less AGP aperture.

3. Driver settings - Antialiasing and Anistropic is better set to "application controlled." Also, the "Max Frames Render Ahead" setting only appears in the Omega drivers IIRC. I could be wrong though.

4. Mobo drivers - contrarywise, mobo driver updates have been relatively simple and effective in my experience (and this computer has gone through 4 different ones in its lifetime). Simply download the drivers for whatever chipset you're using, install them, and you're good to go.

Other than those mentioned above, that's very valid advice. I would also like to add, concerning BIOS tweaks, that this site: http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx has just about everything you need to know on the matter.

Oh and remember to defrag at least once every 2 months. I've had friends complain to me about their computers slowing down... the cause being that they never defragged it after they got the computer :rolleyes:

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

A quick suggestion is that everyone DO NOT disable System Restore....

That's really necessary just in case something happens.

4. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Nah, System Restore = completely useless... anything it can fix I can fix faster myself, and the things I can't fix, it can't fix either... :ermm: And it takes up a crapload of disk space if restore points are allowed to accumulate (can end up being measured in 10's of GB).

5. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

agreed. system restore is worthless. another good site to check though for disabling services is www.blackviper.com . my server computer i had xp running on i was able to disable about 90% of the services. but this computer, being an all around general use computer, i cant disable a whole lot.

and yeah, defrag and disk cleanup are your best friends.

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I don't know...System Restore has saved my butt several times.