Spore World Customization

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by FR27, May 29, 2006.

1. FR27

FR27 New Member

World Customization

I was wondering if it anything has been said on how worlds be put together? Will you be able to kind of select some options when you first evolve out of the tidepool phase that allows you to have a choice in how your homeworld will start out? As in:
    What kind of climate will it have? (desert or temperate)
    How much will be land and ocean?
    What types of plants and creatures will inhabit it? (can you actually have a choice or will the game just pick a handful for a balanced ecosystem...even if you end up getting somethings completely inappropriate to how you would want it; serious vs silly)

Just some things I've been really wondering.

2. Martun

Martun New Member

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure. I am sure, however, that the worlds will be procedurally generated, and randomised when you visit other planets.

I would think that the same will be for your world too, but you may end up starting on a world like 'Dr. Suess''... You can never tell, i guess.

There has been talk about the game 'learning' and adapting to how you play the game, so it may take a look at how your creature evolves, and how it is built in the editor. (ie. If you have a rather thick fluffy/wooly creature, you may start off in a snowy/icey region, or a scaley reptile type creature may start off in the desert, or in a rainforest).

I hope this has been some help, but I too would like to know the answer to this question! :bouncy:

3. FR27

FR27 New Member

Slaps self.

I can't believe that didn't even occur to me! If that is how it will work then I think I can be rather happy with it.

Of course I still have the major concern about the plants and creatures. I personally would like to be able to make my own or, at the very least, set up some rather specific parameters as to what kinds of life would share the world with me. Such as having most creatures having evolved with only three appendages, and/or whether or not I want to have a serious type of environment or something from a cartoon, etc.

I just know if my race end up with some weirdo looking goofy things I'm just going to have to put aside their peaceful nature and just turn to full on erradication. :yuck:

4. Martun

Martun New Member

At the later stages of the game, you will be able to create your own plants etc. for your planet, but other creatures, I'm not sure.
    Of course you can create multiple creatures in the editor, but I'm not sure of the chance that your other creatures will be on the same planet as your's.
    ie, I'm pretty sure that they will be in the game 'somewhere', but with billions of planets, I doubt you will ever find more than even one, in your entire game! :shocked:

The creatures that you do see on your planet will either be pre-fabricated with the game, or creatures from the other players.

Look for mine! lol!

5. artistvrd

artistvrd SporeMasterArti

Great Question!

What I'm thinking is that there will most likely be a 'planet generator' where you select: Ocean, Land, Climate, Atm., Size, etc.

i.e. -
    Sims2
    When you first create a sim, there are 4-8 options of faces for your sims. Then you can custamize out of that. Maybe something along the lines of that?

Or...Like when you go to the CAS screen and click randomize, but who knows. Good Topic!

6. Martun

Martun New Member

There won't be a 'planet generator' as such, as the planets are randomly generated. To customise planets, or make them live-on-able, you use the terraform tool upgrades in your UFO. These will allow you to raise/lower ground levels, tractor beam in asteroids and comets to create massive holes/oceans/atmospheres, start volcano erruptions, and even a 'genesis' tool which I believe creates a whole ecological system on the planet.

It will definately be interesting to see how it all comes together, and the types of planets you can create. I am really looking forward to this stage of the game! :bouncy:

7. FR27

FR27 New Member

I'm kind of wondering about how ecosystems will be handled on player created worlds. Such as if you took a couple creatures from a bunch of worlds you've discovered as to what would happen. After all if the game just randomly picks creatures out for balance when you start your species off on your homeworld, how would it work when you just clump together a number of creatures that equates to an unbalanced world. Would many just die off until there is a balance or until everything is dead? Or would the game just ignore it even though it shouldn't actually work?

:dunno:

8. Martun

Martun New Member

I'm not quite sure about that... Though I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Could you give an example perhaps?

If you mean what I'm thinking you are meaning, just remember that a habitable planet would have to have many different eco-systems, much like earth; all of which co-incide and work/balance off each other. And with the 'many' different species; on earth there are millions and millions of different species of creatures, and many species have hundreds (if not thousands) of sub-species... So, with all the different eco-systems, and about a billion different species on this planet alone, I don't think this will be a problem. ;)

Of course though, many species have died off, either through climate change, habitat loss, or preditorial hunting etc. We do like to blame everything on us humans, but many things do happen naturally (ie. earthquakes, droughts, floods, volcanos, 'ice ages' etc.) and sometimes it is other species of creatures that cause change/extinction too (ie. locusts, rabbits; and the cane toad here in Australia has wiped out habitats for many creatures!).
    I'm not sure if the game will do these types of things by itself, but you could definately try to destroy the habitat of other creatures if you really wanted to!

9. Bonkywop

Bonkywop New Member

Would be interesting, though flinging all the CAS bars left, right and never centre to uglify your sims till their noses have shrunk into their lips and their teeth are protruding through their neck provides a lot more amusement value than a planet heading out into the solar system with an unattractively oversized river running down its back.

10. artistvrd

artistvrd SporeMasterArti

hmm. I see nothing wrong with an ugly river running down the back of a planet

11. FR27

FR27 New Member

For an example lets say you just terraformed a planet, it has nothing but the fertile ground and a usable atmosphere. You pop in a bunch of plants from your homeworld, fine and good. But the only creatures you place on your new world are pure herbivores. In a normal ecosystem they would eat all the plants on the planet and die off from starvation. I'm wondering if the game (from a technical standpoint) will reconize this and do as I have stated, or rather will it simply not reconize this (the planet would be more of a static environment, uneffected by any sort of natural change)?

So, yeah you basically got what I was saying. ;)

Edit

Oh and I'm actually asking all this simply because I know a lot of people in the community who have put so much effort into creating their own races have done so by creating an entire world already (including myself, although I haven't actually put anything out there yet as of now). I would kind of think it would be rather dissapointing that all that effort and creativity would come to nothing as you would simply get no choice in the matter. Although then again it could be that the people realize this already and are simply making their chosen races so complex for no other reason than that they don't know what will be all in the game and with this they will be prepared.

Think I'm going on a tangent here, so I'll just stop. :laughing2:

12. InvaderBlack

InvaderBlack New Member

Well, I'm sure the game will somehow fertilize the planets or something. But I was under the impression that the game alters the world based on how your creature is developed and how it is when you move on to land. The creatures are also made so as to not make it too easy or too hard. But that's just what I thought.