Troubleshooting How to find patches to uninstall so I can reinstall everything

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lorelei92950, Sep 23, 2011.

1. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay I will be uninstalling everything so I can reinstall my TS2 and all the expansions packs.

I checked the thread about that http://uoem.com/forums/threads/before-installing-an-expansion-pack-eg-university-nightlife.4356/ and the FAQ's both by Mirelly but all links are broken. So I will just have to post questions here as they come up I guess. But meanwhile, I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible.

Therefore, can anyone tell me do I need to uninstall all my patches, too? And if so, does anyone know where I should be looking for them?

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You're going to need to reinstall all the patches as they go away when the games are uninstalled. If you don't uninstall the games before you add the new EPs, all you need to do is patch to the latest one. I think that Steve gave you a link where you might find the patches now that they're not available on the TS2 site. (Go back and read through. I think it was something like Simprograms but I'm not sure.)

3. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Yes, I think he did do that so I'll check it out. I hope they're still there because all of the stuff Mirelly put in her FAQ's are links to old pages that are defunct. Because everyone now is TS3 crazy. So far I don't like that game at all.

Anyway, so I don't have to uninstall the patches--if they go away with the games when they are uninstalled. Unfortunately I HAVE to uninstall the the game and all the EP's before I add the new EP's because one is a the Double Deluxe combination pack with Sims 2 in it as well as Nightlife. I obviously already have Sims 2 (the Holiday edition), plus my Fun with Pets comb EP has Mansions & Gardens in it and I already have that installed too. So I guess it's easier to uninstall everything. Then install first the Double Deluxe, and then the others and just take the one disc from the Holiday edition that is the Holiday stuff and add that last. Then I will have to go looking for patches before I can find out if everything is okay and can start playing (and breathing).

4. KatAnubis

I would look for the patches now to make sure it's worth installing the new EPs, which it wouldn't be without the patches. Those patches are really important to playing the game.

5. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Just go find them and save them? Once I uninstall and reinstall how do I add the patches that I've saved? I can't remember how I did it before but I already had the EP in place and then downloaded the patch directly.

6. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

7. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay I quit blubbering long enough to google "Simprograms" and found a page where it looks like I can get the patches. So now I have another question. If uninstalling removes my old patches, how can I go now and get the new patches without them disappearing when I uninstall? Shouldn't I wait until after I uninstall everything and upload and install the patches one at a time after installing each EP that they go with?

A friend game me a page where I found out what order to reinstall everything, including how to deal with combination packs and what order to do those in as well. I'm really grateful I have that anyway.

8. KatAnubis

You don't direct download the patches into your game. (You should get a choice whether to install or to download to a place of your choosing.) You download them to a safe place on your computer, then install them when you have the proper games installed. That also means that you have the patches in case you ever need to uninstall your games again. Don't bother to install them before you have the games you want installed.

9. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay, thanks :)

10. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

So you are saying, after I install Bon Voyage, then add the patch for that, then add the next EP and the patch for that? Or add all the EP's and then the patches? Just want to make sure.

11. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

I think it's better to do EP then patch and repeat. it worked best for me that way after I had problems. But, you can do one or the other.

12. KatAnubis

Some additional EPs won't install correctly if you don't patch before they're installed. But when they start doing the combination packs, it could be different.

13. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Ahhhh, I did not know I was supposed to patch BEFORE they're installed. I didn't know about patches at first, so mine were installed after the first couple of EPs and after that I just assumed they went in after. As I added a couple more EP's I was still adding the patches AFTER. I didn't have any trouble but maybe I was just lucky. So I'll keep that in mind.

14. KatAnubis

You patch after it's installed, but it must have the previous EPs patch already. So if you don't do any patching until the end it might not work. But you patch *after* you've installed each EP. Install an EP, then patch, install the next, then patch, etc.

15. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay, that's what I thought. Now I have another question re that :confused: I assumed I should wait until all EP's and patches are installed before actually going in and seeing what's going on with my game. But then I read something that said you should go in after each EP (and patch). I didn't plan to put my backed up EA files into the game until I was all done. So I would think it would be a mess if I went in before everything was loaded. Half the Sims are dressed in clothes from various EP's and in CC and of course the same for the houses and lots.

16. KatAnubis

You can check the EP with a new neighborhood. You don't have to use the one that you've been working on. Any neighborhood will do. If you want, you can put in some downloads to make sure it works ok, but mainly you want to make sure that the EP works at all.

17. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

I see. Of course I have another question. All the patches I downloaded are zip files. When I open them where do I need to send them so they are in the game? I don't remember them being zip files before but they must have been and I don't remember where I put them. It's lucky for me that they disappear automatically when I uninstall everything.

18. KatAnubis

When you open the zip file, it gives you an .exe file. You just double click on it and it will install itself where it needs to go. The old patches were exe files too, but if you didn't save them, they would just install on their own while you downloaded. But the problem with that is that you don't have it for future reinstalls when you need them. It's better to save them and just do the double click thing with them when you need them. (Especially since that means that even if the sites go away, you still have the necessary patches.)

19. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Thanks, Kat--don't know what I would do without this forum!:)